Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

help! awd escalade ext question!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help! awd escalade ext question!

hey guys i got an 04 escalade ext and i got a question.\
if i wanted to disconnect the awd to the front how can i do it? and if i do will it hurt any thing?
thanks
Old 10-03-2009, 12:07 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swap transfer cases with an auto-trac 4wd.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:32 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You'd also need to swap the front axle to one with a selectable actuator. And a harness, and a TCCM, and who knows what else......
Old 10-03-2009, 03:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah don't just disconnect the drive shaft. if its the borgwarner like mine was you won't even move. if its the case like the SSS then you will hurt it. i swapped in a auto trac case and took out the front axle. some people will say not to take out the cv shafts cause the bearing hubs will fail. if your worried about it take the outer cv portions off and just bolt them in.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trever1t
swap transfer cases with an auto-trac 4wd.
Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
You'd also need to swap the front axle to one with a selectable actuator. And a harness, and a TCCM, and who knows what else......
I just had my 03 Yukon Denali converted from AWD to 4x4 with the 2wd switch. Its a lot more complicated that just swapping transfer cases. Where are you located? It was definately worth it. Its not cheap or easy to do it but in the end I am happy I had it converted.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

yea you cant just disconnect the drive shaft. its something like a 60/40 split rear/front. trust me, i've tried. i converted my EXT to 2wd.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Default AWD to select 4wd conversion

What all did you guys do other than swap out the BW 8441 AWD transfer case? Did you go to NP241, NP243, or NP246? I understand the NP 241 and 243 would be least amount of electronics. I'm assuming the two driveshafts has to be recut? Does the front axle have to be swapped in for a disconnectable one also?

Thank you
Old 08-21-2013, 05:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want just 2wd thats easy, throw in a 243 case and take the nut, spring, ball off the bottom put a dowl pin inside the spring and bolt it back on to lock it into 2wd. take the front axle out and bolt just the outer axle ends into the hubs. if you want a workable 4wd then there is more too is. you don't HAVE to swap out the front axle but it would be better to so that it can disconnect. you will need the harness from a junk yard truck to add this all in. should all plug and play if you get all the parts. the drive shafts will work fine. i've used the same shafts for my 4482, nv149 and 243 cases.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:11 PM

Default AWD EXT to 4WD swap

Originally Posted by Bromaguire
I just had my 03 Yukon Denali converted from AWD to 4x4 with the 2wd switch. Its a lot more complicated that just swapping transfer cases. Where are you located? It was definately worth it. Its not cheap or easy to do it but in the end I am happy I had it converted.
Bromaguire,
Came across your replt to this thread and see you have done what I am considering but with an EXT. Can we connect to problem solve the issues you overcame so I can do the same? Was thinking I wanted to source all the parts from a 2500 sierra or Avalanche. Everyone keeps telling me not to do this, but the reality is I own the EXT, it is in great shape body and interior, and I want to overland in style. Avalanche interiors just dont excite me, and I want to keep the mid gate for all its flexability. With that said, and hopefully enough input for those who will tell me to sell this and go buy a truck or Avy, what were the issues? Can we connect possibly if you dont want to dive into issues here. At the end of the day, if I had all the hard parts to swap out, and went to 2500 front and rear driveline support from a Avalanche 2500, I dont see where the fail would be. I know the Tranny would need to be re flasshed to deal with the new ratios the 4lo will create, and I realize i would need the selectabiltity pieces to choose 4hi and lo, and I know that this is throwing away all the benefits of a escalade, but at thos point it is a 220,000 stock drive line and suspension, so none of the electronic ride and air ride work right anyway. And I really want to get off road with this rig. Yes, I can buy a 4x4 Avy, but I would rather buy a beat up 4X4 2500 Avy and have all those parts re built and swap them onto the EXT. Thoughts?

Also, I know that the VSS is a fairly easy work around due to the signal that is read is the same from 1998 on. Trying to see what else I am not considering. Another side note, that if one was to change to the 2500 front diff, ARB makes a air locker for that diff. There is a locker for sure available for the rear end. All these upgraded along with some other hard part upgrades would allow for the EXT to be build inot an overlanding rig, then once this is done, a supercharger, or Diesel swap would make for a pretty awresome daily that can be easily made into a off the grid cruiser.

Last edited by Larry K Walden Jr; 09-04-2020 at 06:20 PM.