Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help 9.5 14 bolt swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raffman
I've got a drum brake 14 bolt 3.73 w/ locker that is out of a 99 4wd that I paid 450.00 for. I was going to make my own bracket to mount the stock disc brakes to. That is the cheapest way out for a stout rear. I've since decided to go with a narrowed moser 12 bolt to tuck some 12'' wide wheels. I don't know what the 14 bolt goes for in other parts of the country but I would let mine go for what I paid but it's the shipping that would get ya. Prob 150. to 200.00.
Correct me if Im wrong but I had read the earlier model rearends wont work with some modifications, the pearches have to be readjusted, the ends have to be flanged...axle length etc?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:45 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OrlandoFL4.8
Im not to familiar with how the inside of the differential is setup, I have only pulled the cover one time a few years back to put new gasket sealer when I had a leak. From what my mechanic said, I guess there is an inner housing that everything rests in, he called it a pumpkin...well that cracked but he said he could fix it for 500 and some change. I will have to ask him tomorrow when he opens up to see if that is all that was effected.
The pumpkin would is the differential. I cracked the case on my Yukon posi as well.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Last Call
The pumpkin would is the differential. I cracked the case on my Yukon posi as well.
So is that actually a part of the yukon posi unit than and not a factory part inside of the outer housing? I wonder if that was what he was talking about that my yukon unit took a dump?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Any one ever use the summit differential cover for added strength as opposed to the TA cover, they look similar and this one has the bearing support. You think this one would be just as good?

Old 11-01-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

I read somewhere a while back that TA manufactured Summit's Girdles. How true that is, I don't know.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Correct me if Im wrong but I had read the earlier model rearends wont work with some modifications, the pearches have to be readjusted, the ends have to be flanged...axle length etc?
Yes, earlier as in 80's models. the 99 & up will work and the 4wd units are slightly narrower.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read about the tru tracks and alot of people having good results with those in a 8.6 10 bolt. My problem isnt really with the axles, the housing must be flexing from the power im making with the nitrous and the first two times the ring and pinion lost a lot of teeth but in both cases my yukon posi unit survived. This time the inner housing cracked from what my mechanic explained to me which must have been from the wheel hop and why I was getting so much vibration under acceleration for the past few weeks. I think the gears and yukon posi are still OK but he quoted me 500.00~ to replace the inner housing that everything rests in if I want to keep the 8.6. I really dont know at this point, maybe I will just have him fix it and throw an after market differential cover on there for a little more strength but just hate to waste money like this.
I am going to agree wit you, with the others here on the axle and housing flexing.. But is it really needed in your case?? The 14 bolt is a HD unit without a doubt.. But your still not making the power to make that kinda upgrade imo( unless you can get one 4 cheap) And i am not trying to a dick in saying your not making any power... But alot of guys have went 10's no problem with a 8.6 rear.. If wheel hop is the reason you need to fix that, I bet with that along with a good unit, girdle you will be fine... I think it is crazy about how some trucks wheel hop like hell and some don't. My truck never wheel hopped with out the cal tracs... I would stay with the 8.6 unless you plan to get crazy(like 1000 hp) You have a lighter truck...
Old 11-02-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I am going to agree wit you, with the others here on the axle and housing flexing.. But is it really needed in your case?? The 14 bolt is a HD unit without a doubt.. But your still not making the power to make that kinda upgrade imo( unless you can get one 4 cheap) And i am not trying to a dick in saying your not making any power... But alot of guys have went 10's no problem with a 8.6 rear.. If wheel hop is the reason you need to fix that, I bet with that along with a good unit, girdle you will be fine... I think it is crazy about how some trucks wheel hop like hell and some don't. My truck never wheel hopped with out the cal tracs... I would stay with the 8.6 unless you plan to get crazy(like 1000 hp) You have a lighter truck...
Yeah, after spending countless hours researching the 9.5 swap, I decided to keep the 8.6 rear. I called my mechanic this morning with the intentions of telling him to call off the junkyard search but before I could say anything he told me that one of his suppliers told him the trutrac is a solid unit and that I should try that and it was funny because I was going to tell him the same thing. I also ordered a girdle with the center caps and stud kit.

Im going to start researching suspension and caltrac setups to get rid of the wheel hop. My shocks have 120k miles on them so its time for a change anyways.

I appreciate everyones responses and all options were weighed for my situation and this seems to be the better choice after all my research and everyones help. Those 9.5 rears are a bastard to find and I still would have wanted a good differential on top of that and would have easily hit the 2000.00 mark with labor. Not to mention my truck is taking up time on my mechanics lift and he wont let it sleep outside. I'm thinking about calling him tomorrow, because I think he is going to be using my old ring and pinion which they are 3.73 and was thinking about upgrading that to 4.10 while everything is apart so all the insides will be new but damn it all adds up $. Again thanks everyone for your feedback.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I'm curious why you think just because you don't have something, someone else doesn't need it. Last time I checked, GM was putting 9.5" rear ends in 1500s with half the power this guy is making. You do the same stuff with people wanting 1 7/8" headers. If you or I had blown up two 8.6 rear ends we sure as hell wouldn't be spending the time and money to put the same thing back in.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Launching!

So the stock differential unit that cam on your truck was a 10 bolt 8.5?I ask because I am in the processing of buying some 3:73 gears for my 2000 silverado 4.8 and I was just wondering if they were the right size.The differential is the one it came from the dealership.

Quick Reply: Help 9.5 14 bolt swap?