Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Guys Running Detroit Tru Trac Come In..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
I love mine for the street and works very well in most drag applications. I have approx. 50k miles on it now. I did have one problem with mine though.

The bolts on each end cap that hold the unit together backed out. When I was driving, I began to have a huge jerk like I hit a hellacious pot hole but there wasn't any of course. After 3 or 4 times of this happening, I took the rear cover off to find all the bolts to have begun to back out or have been sheered by hitting the housing when they backed out. The unit was being held together by the bearings and the housing its self.
I attribute the problem due to several 5000+ clutch dumps on slicks with a few of them being on a 150 shot. It takes 2-3x's the torque from an automatic to put the same kinds of loads on a rear end as a manual does dead hooking. Heck, I snapped an axle and Parish8 never even did that with stock axles.

Basically, the worm gear design pushes outwards on the end caps during heavy loads and probably stretched the bolts. I replaced the bolts with new grade 8's and red loctite. I have had no issues in 20k miles but I haven't put slicks on it again either.

So my opinon, if you are running an automatic, beat the hell out of it. If you have a manual, be careful with the hard launches at the track on stickies.
when you broke an axle were you able to move or would the unit not drive the other tire? i ask cause i broke an axle with my detroit locker and was able to drive home.