Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Gettting our Truck to Hook Up 101

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 2.1 60 ft with my 5.3 on an aftermarket Eaton posi, 4.10 gears 3000 stall, and BALD Eagle GT2 tires on 16 inch rims. The bald tires worked great on the sticky track with 20psi.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:39 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If we keep this going this can be a very useful thread.

Come on, tells us how you hook up!
Old 02-03-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled a 1.77 60' on 28x12.5 on stock leaf springs. thats with 420rwhp. I put cal tracs on and could never get in the 1.7x again. I didnt have luck with cal tracs but i think i am the only one that didnt, so i dunno. I am now 4-linked with coil overs and we will soon see how this works out for me.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
If we keep this going this can be a very useful thread.

Come on, tells us how you hook up!

Word. I gotta go, but will keep up on this later
Old 02-03-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can give me your Radix and getting traction would be my problem.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:45 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Traction has improved after I installed 4 degree Pinion Angle shims. These shims angle the rear end toward the ground and have improved my traction. By no means is it a great fix, but it has definately helped. 20 bucks is not bad for some traction.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
Traction has improved after I installed 4 degree Pinion Angle shims. These shims angle the rear end toward the ground and have improved my traction. By no means is it a great fix, but it has definately helped. 20 bucks is not bad for some traction.
where can I get these shims and are there any down side to using them?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I wish h777 would see this he's a dodge guy but has alot of good knowledge I read some posts of his on traction, seems to have alot of track knowledge been in it a long time.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
where can I get these shims and are there any down side to using them?

Well the only reason to use them is when you change your rear suspension and you pinion angle is off. Like when you drop the truck the pinion yoke angles up... which can lead to vibration and worse launches.

Ideally, you want the pinion angle within 2 degrees of perfectly in-line with the driveshaft. You want the pinion yoke angled down if anything, not up.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

since nobody has said anything really half-way intelligent in this thread, I'll give the little expertise that i have, a go:

For a street truck, I would have to say that neglecting the tires.... Posi or some sort of a locker in the rear differential is a MUST.

once you get the two wheel spin down, you want to optimize the pinion angle so you get the proper launch from the rear end transfering the torque the the tires.

Our trucks also have leaf springs, so with enough traction and grip from the tires the power being transferred the the axle is going to have a ton of leverage pushing up on the front of the leaf packs causing "axle wrap".... the more power and traction you are getting(or lack there of) leads to worse and worst axle wrap....

This is where you can find some sort of a device to stop this from happening, ie: 4 link, Traction bars(Cal-tracs), ladder bars, or some overload spring clamps..... all of these things have thier up sides and downsides... some work better than others in certain applications, and you obviously have to take into account the price factor(kinda like, clamps are much cheaper than a 4-link, but don't work as well)

Looking from a physics point of view, I would have to say that the Cal-tracs bars are probably the best bang for the buck concerning our leaf sprigns and axle wrap... A 4 link would obvisouly be the best for drag, ride, and wheel hop issues.... BUT, you have to convert to some sort of coil spring or coilover for the suspension. Doing all these modifications can really take a toll on your wallet, but it works well. One other thing that you have to take into account when looking at the Rear suspension of a truck, is the load... If you were to swap out the leafs for a coilover setup, you won't be able to take near the loads in the bed that leaf springs can hold up to. Some of us guys still like to USE our trucks, but others would rather simply race them.

Quick Reply: Gettting our Truck to Hook Up 101