Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Gear pattern opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gear pattern opinion

Long story short, been a member since 2018. Joined up, read a ton of stickies, never really had a question, upgraded the truck and then life happened and I had to get rid of it. Now I’m back in a NBS (99 ECSB) and This is the first gear change I’ve ever done in my 44yrs.

I’ve read the stickies and I guess I’m just second guessing myself on the pattern.

To me, it looks like I need to add a little pinion shim but I just get into my own head and start questioning everything. Let me know what you think please.

99 ECSB / 4.11 Richmond’s / TruTrac

Old 09-14-2022, 01:38 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

I think you're correct on adding more pinion shim but you're not getting a good visible contact pattern in the paint. I hold a folded shop rag on the outer part of the ring gear as I turn the pinion. This creates drag and you'll get a better reading.

How To Create & Read Ring Gear Patterns

I maybe could have used a smidge bit more pinion shim but it's been quiet for 4 years of having fun (4.10's Yukon Duragrip)

Gear pattern opinion-gican3f.jpg
The following users liked this post:
wardlws (10-10-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the reply, I ordered more paint so I will reapply and use the method you mentioned.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:23 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

As mentioned, its hard to tell for sure. It might need a little more pinion shim. Is your backlash within the recomended spec?
Old 09-17-2022, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Used the method above and got a better pattern in the paint. Need to add some pinion shim and it should be good. Pattern is fairly centered on both sides but not deep enough.

Backlash is .10

Thanks for the assistance guys!
RedXray (09-17-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Just now getting back to this due to RL activities. I cannot get the proper pinion bearing preload. The max I can get is 10 in/lbs. I have broken a 1/2” cheater bar and even a 3/4” impact will not get it any tighter. I marked the pinion nut and pinion with a sharpie…hit the impact and then checked for movement.

Any suggestions other than what I’ve already tried?
strutaeng (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 07:34 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

I use the solid pinion crush eliminator in place of the crush sleeve. It takes a bit of trial & error to get the pinion preload... but once you achieve preload you can remove the pinion yoke to replace the seal (if needed) without changing preload like a crush sleeve would.

It's necessary to have an outer setup pinion bearing due to the multiple shim changes. You don't want to have to pound out the pinion every time during preload shim test fits.

CSGM8.5 Solid Pinion Bushing CSGM8.5 Solid Pinion Bushing

Last edited by RedXray; 10-07-2022 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by XxBIGGUNxX
Just now getting back to this due to RL activities. I cannot get the proper pinion bearing preload. The max I can get is 10 in/lbs. I have broken a 1/2” cheater bar and even a 3/4” impact will not get it any tighter. I marked the pinion nut and pinion with a sharpie…hit the impact and then checked for movement.

Any suggestions other than what I’ve already tried?
​​​​​​You added the gear oil to the bearings, correct?
Old 10-07-2022, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by strutaeng
​​​​​​You added the gear oil to the bearings, correct?
Yes but several days passed between that and actually starting to set preload
Old 10-07-2022, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedXray
I use the solid pinion crush eliminator in place of the crush sleeve. It takes a bit of trial & error to get the pinion preload... but once you achieve preload you can remove the pinion yoke to replace the seal (if needed) without changing preload like a crush sleeve would.

It's necessary to have an outer setup pinion bearing due to the multiple shim changes. You don't want to have to pound out the pinion every time during preload shim test fits.

CSGM8.5 Solid Pinion Bushing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYw5bYZWl_Q
Good info, I’ll definitely check it out. Thanks!
strutaeng (10-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Gear pattern opinion