Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

G80 on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default G80 on its way out?

I was driving spiritted but not hard by any means on my way to work this morning and my truck started making noise from the rear like wawawawawawa. The loudness and the frequency of the wawa are both proportional to the speed. It would be loud if I went fast but I can't feel it at all. Anyway, I turned around and took it real easy back to the house and got my little gas saver to drive to work. Does it dound like the locker might be f-ing up? I'll take it apart tomorrow and see if I can find the problem.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone ever gotten a clue that their G80 was about to go out before it actually blew up? Is it a likely cause for the noise my truck is making? I hope this is my problem. If it is I can get a new posi.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to be safe, I would certainly check it out so you don't have to buy gears too.

Haven't had any trouble with mine, but I really only beat on it in a straight line. I've read drifting, fish tailing, and donuts are what do them in.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

I took the cover off. There are two ring gear bolts sheared off. The gears look fine but what the hell could have caused that to happen?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by axekick
I took the cover off. There are two ring gear bolts sheared off. The gears look fine but what the hell could have caused that to happen?
Look closer and you will probably find more damage to the case.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

do you mean the differential or the housing? Is it time for a new eaton?

Here's a pic of the diff still in the truck.

I'm hoping to not have to change out the gears. Although, I have considered swapping out my 4.30s for some 3.73s for fuels sake. But I'd have to do the front too and none of this is in the budget. I'm going to pull the diff out this afternoon. Wifey has me doing another project this morning and it's ont like I can get a new diff today anyway.

Last edited by axekick; 02-03-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

I can't get the god damn C clips out. WTF! They move freely and I have a little magnet but they just won't come out. I need some moral support here. Any tricks to stubborn c clips?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

I got it. I guess you just have to beat the axles in with a big hammer sometimes. You'd think I've never done a set of gears before.

Anyway, I got the diff out. There doesn't seem to be anythig wrong with anything. Just two bolt heads that broke off for some weird reason. Maybe I over torqued them or something. There is still a nice preload on the pinion bearings and the backlash was at .009" before I took it apart. I didn't check the gear pattern but I'm not worried about that. They were quiet.

Just because nothing was damaged doesn't mean I'm going to put that G80 back in. I never liked that thing and I know I'm going to break it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order an Eaton LSD or maybe the Yukon version. If anyone wants to trade their 3.73s for my 4.30s, let me know now. I'll do it but I need fronts and rears.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone ever run Ron's RMS Powergrip LSD? Does anyone know who makes it?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Well, even though I'm about the only one in my little thread, I guess I'll keep it updated anyway. My new Powergrip posi should be on it's way today from Ron's along with a new set of ring gear bolts. I don't know who I talked to at Ron's but he was very cool. The prices can't be beat either.

Quick Reply: G80 on its way out?