Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Suspension Noise

Hey guys. Hoping maybe someone can shed some light. The weekend before last 01Thunder and I installed a set of Eibach 1" front coils on my truck. Got them in and running fine, had the alignment done a few days later. Then a few days later had some new tires installed.

Fast forward to last night. I usually don't drive the truck on weekends much, it had sat all weekend from Friday afternoon on. I go into town to Whataburger and pulling into the lot, there is a larger built up area, and the front end made a loud noise. Not really a squeaking, but more like a creaking type noise. I had also heard a low knocking noise. When I got to the house I popped the hood and noticed that the drivers side top of the shock mount was loose. So I tightened it up, with the truck on the ground. But it still made the noise. got under the truck and checked all the bolts, but didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I had used the stock length shocks with the coils. Could I need to replace them? Or is there something else to look at?

While driving in to work today I didn't hear it at all, but when I got out, I pushed the front of the truck up and down by hand and could still hear it.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, just went to grab a bite for lunch, pulled into the parking lot of Burger King and its creaking like an old mattress spring. I'm going to have to figure something out here, cause this is getting annoying really damn quick. It doesn't seem to be drving or handling poorly. I wonder if I need to lube up the chassis in certain spots. I really need some advice here, cause this is going to drive me ******* insane.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine started doing the same thing about a 2 weeks ago. some creaking was from turning left & right, some creaking was from suspension compression. i will jack it up and spray all the pivot pionts with white lithium grease, and it goes away for a couple of days. mine is weather related, also. today, hot and humid, it is noisy, lastweek when it was cool & not humid, quiet as could be.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

I already tried the lithium grease on mine. I know its not that. I still am under the impression that its coming from the shock. I do know it is definitely the drivers side.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i might try my shocks next. i did notice a little bit of shock oil leaking on both my fronts.....btw, new upper ball joints on mine helped with some of the noise.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

The shocks get off center in their upper mounting holes. Gm sells a updated lower bushing for the upper mount that has a hard plastic insert that insulates the shock from the frame. Their is a tsb on it.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
The shocks get off center in their upper mounting holes. Gm sells a updated lower bushing for the upper mount that has a hard plastic insert that insulates the shock from the frame. Their is a tsb on it.

I had heard that same response last night on another site. Thanks though, thats probably the issue. Now I just need to get to a dealership that will look at it for me.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 AM
11 Second Truck Club

humm... sometimes i experience a low knocking noise when coming to a stop.
think it could be the shocks? stock shocks with 2" hotchkis springs.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Possible, I do have a very very slight knocking noise associated with this creaking sound.

I don't suppose anyone has access to the TSB's to try and locate this one associated with the shocks and upper shock mount insulators?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
mine started doing the same thing about a 2 weeks ago. some creaking was from turning left & right, some creaking was from suspension compression. i will jack it up and spray all the pivot pionts with white lithium grease, and it goes away for a couple of days. mine is weather related, also. today, hot and humid, it is noisy, lastweek when it was cool & not humid, quiet as could be.

Funny that you should mention that. Cause my truck didn't squeak at all this morning coming to work. Maybe the rain was lubricating the bushings or something? I'm still going to look at it, cause I still think I got a shock or shock mount going bad on me.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Noise