Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front struts UNDER lower control arm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front struts UNDER lower control arm?

Hello! I've seen this in at least one thread on here somewhere, but I can't seem to find anything about it searching for it. Please give me some input on this if you can!

I have a 2011 2WD Silverado 1500 short bed, regular cab truck. I've read about and just heard from a guy locally about mounting the front struts UNDER the front control arms as a low-buck way to lower the front suspension. I'd like to hear from guys who have done this. Just looking at it, doing this makes me VERY nervous. I can't get my head wrapped around supporting the weight of the front end of the truck from four 8mm bolts! The stock front strut mounts against the forged steel lower control arm, has a couple of big lugs forged into the arm to locate the strut and keep it there... How can switching the lower strut mount to the underside of the control arm and relying on just the four bolts to keep the strut in place and support the weight of the truck, endure potholes, etc., be safe?

Please, let's hear some input, y'all. I'm doing some horse trading to get a 6" drop flip kit... What I'd like to do is get MaxTrac 2" spindles and either cut my existing coils or replace with 1" or 2" drop front coils to achieve a 4" drop in front. But $$ is super tight, so if I can drop the front for little to no $$ that's what I need to do.

Maybe cut the coils is the way to go? Or lower the height of the lower spring mounts on the front struts? Pretty sure I've seen these mounts somewhere, though I can't seem to find them now that I'm hunting them...
Old 09-23-2022, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,174 Likes on 894 Posts

Struts and shocks are two different things. You either have coil springs and a shock or you have struts. Your truck has coil springs and a shock.
I'd just cut coils if you are low buck, you'll be alright, may not be the greatest ride of your life.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't' think there is anything to discuss on placing the strut under the arm. It is just a bad idea and you hit all the reasons why in your question.

As for an economical drop on the front... McG's used to have a drop ring for the spring mount on a factory strut. Cutting the spring will work as will a drop spring but the drops springs will likely be a higher rate. All of these options will shorten the shock stroke affecting the ride on a factory strut. Belltech also has a drop strut in their street performance line which is what I used along with a 2" spindle. I would not say the valving is perfect but they do pretty good.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by shakenfake
Your truck has coil springs and a shock.
You are incorrect... GMT900 trucks have struts up front.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't do it. I would be worried about the suspension running out of travel before the coil does at bump. Could bend stuff, break ball joints or what not. Even if it doesn't, for reason you listed.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigKID
You are incorrect... GMT900 trucks have struts up front.
They have both coils and struts? It should just be a strut meaning I doubt you can cut coils on those trucks lol

Thanks for the correction, I thought shocks lasted one more gen up front.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Struts and shocks are two different things. You either have coil springs and a shock or you have struts. Your truck has coil springs and a shock.
I'd just cut coils if you are low buck, you'll be alright, may not be the greatest ride of your life.
I am well aware of the difference between coil springs with shocks and Macpherson struts. This truck had Macpherson struts. Coil spring mounted directly on the shock absorber as a unit.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Thanks the helpful replies. I'll get a pair of MaxTrac 2" spindles and see if McG's still has the lower spring mounts available.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

They have both coils and struts? It should just be a strut meaning I doubt you can cut coils on those trucks lol

Thanks for the correction, I thought shocks lasted one more gen up front.
Yes, the coil springs on a MacPhearson strut are wound a little differently than traditional coil springs because the lower mount is much smaller than the outer diameter of the main part of the spring since it's mounted to the strut tube. But it's nothing fancy. Just a coil spring that's captured on the strut. The spring is still serviceable/replaceable, it just requires a specialized spring compressor and a couple of extra steps to safely do it.
The following users liked this post:
shakenfake (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Okay cool thanks for the explanation