Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front end problems after Hotchkis TVS...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 04:30 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Front end problems after Hotchkis TVS...

I had a Hotchkis TVS 2/4 drop installed a couple of years ago. When it was installed, I had 275/70R16 Toyo Proxes ST's on all 4 corners. The front started bottoming out right away. I admittedly ran them too long with this going on. Next, both of the front tires started cupping on inside edge. I finally replaced the two front with 245/70R16 and solved the bottoming out problem, however the inside edges of the new tires continued to wear prematurely in the same manner. I removed the brand new Rancho shocks that I had just put on and replaced them w/ Edelbrock IAS per Hotchkis' recommendation. No one at Hotchkis had ever heard of this problem occuring. I took it to 3 alignment shops to check the alignment. Each said that it was a little off but could not be adjusted any further to correct, and even at where it was at, that it should not cause that wear pattern.
After months and months of watching my tires eat away, I called Hotchkis again and opened up the can of worms again. I asked if, and they agreed that it was possible that, I may have damaged the ball joints and/or the control arm bushings when bottoming out repeatedly.
I just had the front left & right, upper & lower control arm bushings replaced as well as upper and lower ball joints. I did this along with replacing the tires that were showing belts on the inside, with two new Toyo's of the same size. I used Moog ball joints and Moog Problem Solver Upper Control Arm Bushings that allow for additional adjustment range vs stock. Moog does not however make the lower bushings, which I didn't find out until my truck was torn apart on a lift and the ones that were purchased didn't work. They are shown to be corect at O'Reilly's and on Rock Auto. I contacted Moog and was advised that they do not make the lower bushings for my truck. I ended up w/ some from AutoZone to complete the job. Finished up w/ an alignment.
So far so good, I have my fingers and toes crossed. Rides alot better and actually I believed that it raised the front end slightly. I had always thought that the front sat a little lower than expected.

As always, any thoughts or comments are most welcome.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wild! First I have ever heard of this. Did you verify with Hotchkis you had the right coils? Who did the install?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:53 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Yeah I did. In all honesty, the bottoming out probably caused it. I just hope that the new bushings and ball joints solve the problem. I really don't want to ruin another couple of tires.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You put new tires on after the IAS? Wonder if you had the right shocks.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:04 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Smaller tires went on before the IAS shocks. The IAS are the correct ones specified for a 2/4 drop.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

could possibly be worn out tie rods too. inner tie rod failure is pretty common on these trucks from what i can tell.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:41 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Yeah, that's true; however, when installing the Hotchkis TVS we noticed play in the tie rods and replaced them before the first alignment.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:49 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I just had the front left & right, upper & lower control arm bushings replaced as well as upper and lower ball joints. I did this along with replacing the tires that were showing belts on the inside, with two new Toyo's of the same size. I used Moog ball joints and Moog Problem Solver Upper Control Arm Bushings that allow for additional adjustment range vs stock. Moog does not however make the lower bushings, which I didn't find out until my truck was torn apart on a lift and the ones that were purchased didn't work. They are shown to be corect at O'Reilly's and on Rock Auto. I contacted Moog and was advised that they do not make the lower bushings for my truck. I ended up w/ some from AutoZone to complete the job. Finished up w/ an alignment.
So far...so good...
I thought that I would list the part #'s for the above mentioned issues that I ran into:

Moog K6669 Upper Control Arm Bushing 1ea per side....CORRECT
Moog K6658 Lower Control Arm Bushing...................WRONG
(Moog does not make a LCA Bushing for this application, no matter what the parts store books or computers say)
Moog K6540 Upper Ball Joint 1ea per side....................CORRECT
Moog K6539 Lower Ball Joint 1ea per side....................CORRECT

AutoZone FB550 & FB551 Lower Control Arm Bushings
1F, 1R per side...CORRECT
Old 09-22-2007, 09:45 PM
11 Second Truck Club

well...the new ball joints, control arm bushings and another alignment DID NOT solve the problem...
tires still wore out on the inside...
I don't know what to do...or where to even begin...
I have new 18" wheels and tires now and want this solved ASAP...
any suggestions?

Last edited by Superado; 09-23-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:06 AM
11 Second Truck Club

pics added to last post...
as you can see, not only are they wearing out on the inside shoulder but it is uneven wear from driver side to passenger side as well...

Quick Reply: Front end problems after Hotchkis TVS...