Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Folks with custom trans cooler lines, come in

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Folks with custom trans cooler lines, come in

How long are yours?? and what material did you use? I have pretty much an endless supply of -6 or -8 braided stainless or just high pressure hose to work with... I am guessing this is what everyone has been using. I know it would kind of be overkill as the trans only sees about 100 psi max but I want it to look nice and be able to handle anything I throw at it.

also, fittings... just 1/4" NPT for the trans and radiator? what about your cooler? Looks like mine just has barbed fittings that just take clamps... looks like I'll be investing in some good hose clamps when the time comes.

I really need the length if you have it so I can get these things fabbed up. it will take a couple days. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

bump...
Old 01-30-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the Trans fittings of my old 28" rad and drilled and tapped 5/8"-18 holes into -10 plugs for my cooler. Thread the radiator fittings in and then just plug in my stock lines into the bottom of the cooler.

Stock lines, stock connections, basic swap from one to the other, except for the mounts.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

thanks for the help but I really need to know how long they are... I am routing them outside my frame rails this time to keep the lines away from header heat and just otherwise out of the way.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

I used a connector that slid over the factory line. I had to cut off the end and reflare the line after sliding the fitting over. A -6 male to male adapter and -6 line to a Setrab oil cooler(overkill). I don't have any pics for you though. The setrab oil cooler was the original heat exchanger for my radix. All of the adapters you need should be available at the local hydraulic shop.

Dave
Old 01-30-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to use Aeroquip socketless hose, and fittings to plumb all my trans lines, when I install my B&M Cooler. I think the fittings on the trans are 14mm x 1.5 to -6an, and the fittings on the rad for the trans lines are 16mm x 1.5 to -6an. I'll try to post pics when I'm doing it, maybe in the next few weeks.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got 12 or 10 foot of -6 Push Lok hose, and several fittings.. cost me about $125 after it was all said and done. But well worth it!!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

copy paste from a previous post, I used 15ft total BTW and it was perfect

IMO the easiest way to do it is the way I did if you want to go ahead and bypass the radiator, the trans cooler that I have you can get a cold weather climate version that has an internal bypass so even though you bypass the radiator in cold climate your trans fluid can still get warm. Here is how I did it.

Here you can see the -6 90* hose ends, I used the pipe thread to -6 adapter fittings in the cooler to be able to connect the 90s to the cooler

Here you can see where they are run for now, once I get the engine back in I will do the final routing

Here you can see the 90* -6s that go into the trans(not connected yet)

Here is a picture of the stock fittings on the side of the trans that you will pull out

Here is a picture of the 14x1.5 to -6 fittings that will replace the stock fittings on the side of the trans(the adapters used on the cooler look the same but with a different pipe thread on them) just a little thread sealer and snug em in

This way the system does away with those POS wire clip things that are prone to getting bent and IIRC arent NHRA legal(not that it really matters just a good safety standard to go by).

If you are interested in this route I can provide you with the palce to get the 40,000GVW cooler like mine with or without the bypass for cold climate.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

thanks again for the help Cody, I really just needed the lengths since I wont be able to get back under the truck for the next few days and need to have the lines made up pretty soon.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt can you pm me some info on where you got your supplies?

Quick Reply: Folks with custom trans cooler lines, come in