Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

ECSB 4WD 4l60E to 4l80E

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MeticulousFab
Very nice job here, about to start ordering parts for a 80 swap in my 03 suburban, keep up with all the details they are helping a ton. Thanks
You're welcome. More coming

Originally Posted by Pewter53
i took a pick and got my pins to seat fully.
I stand corrected. It would have to be a small pick
Old 11-29-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Installed the transmission lines. Not much to say.

Had to pull the front grille to get to the cooler. New lines on top, old on bottom. Get them unhooked from the radiator and cooler, small clips hold them under the engine. Unclip them there and remove a couple of clips that keep them tied together. Fish them out toward the front of the truck. Messy and and a puzzle.

Name:  DSC08116a.jpg
Views: 2784
Size:  72.8 KB
Name:  DSC08115a.jpg
Views: 2792
Size:  68.8 KB

It's not a direct fit so far. Guess where the 2500 sits higher on the frame. Anybody know of a tool to make these type fittings. I'd like to cut some length off the new line and re flare it.

New line in background. Old line in the foreground.

Name:  DSC08117a.jpg
Views: 2806
Size:  78.5 KB

Last edited by KySilverado; 11-29-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always took a tubing flare and flare the tubing then put 2 clamps on the trans fluid line but mine goes to soft line.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

You could probably use a hydraulic 'olive' type joining fitting. We use them at work for air, fluids etc. That's what I'd use.
As for the pcm connections....yeah...you really need to remove those covers. They're designed to lock those tabs in behind the lip on the pins and stop them from sliding backwards as you plug them into the PCM.
Just a note on your speed sensor....apparently the OEM speed sensor wires are a 'twisted pair' for reasons of warding off/blocking interference from other electrical signals within the rest of the wiring loom.
I don't know how important/true that is....but apparently the speed sensors are quite sensitive to interference.
Also....it doesn't matter which wire goes to which of the two pins at the PCM.

EDIT: easy way to make them a twisted pair....tie one end of each wire to something and put the two 'other' ends in the battery drill....pull the trigger. Voila...twisted pair.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pewter53
I have always took a tubing flare and flare the tubing then put 2 clamps on the trans fluid line but mine goes to soft line.
I may wind up going soft line right at the trans cooler. Good idea to flare it with clamps.

Originally Posted by howard quick
You could probably use a hydraulic 'olive' type joining fitting. We use them at work for air, fluids etc. That's what I'd use.
As for the pcm connections....yeah...you really need to remove those covers. They're designed to lock those tabs in behind the lip on the pins and stop them from sliding backwards as you plug them into the PCM.
Just a note on your speed sensor....apparently the OEM speed sensor wires are a 'twisted pair' for reasons of warding off/blocking interference from other electrical signals within the rest of the wiring loom.
I don't know how important/true that is....but apparently the speed sensors are quite sensitive to interference.
Also....it doesn't matter which wire goes to which of the two pins at the PCM.

EDIT: easy way to make them a twisted pair....tie one end of each wire to something and put the two 'other' ends in the battery drill....pull the trigger. Voila...twisted pair.
I pulled the wires for the speed sensor straight from an old harness that had an 80e in it. Wondered why they were twisted. Good to know it doesn't matter about the polarity.. if it can be screwed up I can do it.

Name:  DSC07491a.jpg
Views: 2720
Size:  74.9 KB
Old 11-29-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

and I forgot I too took the covers off of the pcm plug to get mine down don't know how I forgot bout doing that.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool...twisted!
I don't like the '2 clamps' idea. I know it works fine....it just looks a bit too 'temporary' to me.
I'm kinda OC about things looking like they're 'meant to be'.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is what I'd use....and just cut a section out back further...under the truck.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/di...n_fittings.htm

They're available in stainless.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by howard quick
This is what I'd use....and just cut a section out back further...under the truck.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/di...n_fittings.htm

They're available in stainless.
You can get brass compression fittings like that at most any hardware store.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

napa sells those fittings for like 25 cents last time i bought some .

Quick Reply: ECSB 4WD 4l60E to 4l80E