Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Dealer gear swap rediculous... venting

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for grins I ran the parts list my tech would ask for and it came to about 2,500 in parts alone. Tack on a days worth of labor @100 per hour, and you can see how they got to the price you were quoted.

Have you asked any of these service guys to work with you on price yet?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I have the gear guys attention i want to ask 1 more question.. If I have a TVS1900 in my future, does swapping to 3.73 become less of a need/importance? Would my money be better off being saved for the TVS1900 fund or is getting to a better gear ratio still that much more beneficial..

Maybe I should start a new thread with this question in the FI section..
Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MPFD
I am lucky enough to have 24 hour access to a full service repair shop, but I know that they charge walk in customers right around $300-400 for a gear set up per axle.
Can you PM me the name of the shop so I can get an idea of where to start? I tried looking up shops but didn't get much luck. I've only lived in this area for about 4 years and haven't had much work done.

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
Have you asked any of these service guys to work with you on price yet?
I haven't got that far into it yet, I was trying to get a budget number so I could plan for the swap in a few months. I like to get my ducks in a row before the invoices start coming in...
Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The gear swap will help whichever way you go in the long run.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 AM
11 Second Truck Club

wouldn't do you any good, I live near Wichita now...
Old 07-11-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're seriously considering a TVS in the near future I'd suggest waiting on the gears IMVHO. Those 3.08s are kinda shallow but first gear in the 6L80 is super deep and the off idle torque from a TVS will really get that truck moving. If you end up being satisfied with the 3.08s under boost, you will continue getting great hwy mileage and cut down on drivetrain revs.

The things you may want to beef up are the driveshaft and carrier since those are week points when you start adding that much power.

Alot of this will depend on how you're using the truck though. Are you wanting a DD that cruises nice and still gets decent mpgs or are you building a weekend warrior?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
If you're seriously considering a TVS in the near future I'd suggest waiting on the gears IMVHO. Those 3.08s are kinda shallow but first gear in the 6L80 is super deep and the off idle torque from a TVS will really get that truck moving. If you end up being satisfied with the 3.08s under boost, you will continue getting great hwy mileage and cut down on drivetrain revs.

The things you may want to beef up are the driveshaft and carrier since those are week points when you start adding that much power.

Alot of this will depend on how you're using the truck though. Are you wanting a DD that cruises nice and still gets decent mpgs or are you building a weekend warrior?
Thanks you for your opinion, I appreciate it. I've never had a boosted vehicle before and I don't know much about all this anyway, so any insight is a lot of help for me.

Yes, I am seriously considering a TVS in the future, I've already got my shoe box started with some cash in it. I'm pretty set on doing it but I'll need to get it paid off first, another 2 yrs probably. Until then, I'm enjoying my warranty and adding other conveniences like bed cover, heated leather seats, back up camera, HIDs, stereo, sway bar... that kind of stuff.

This truck is a family vehicle that drives me back and forth to work everyday (all 3.5 miles of it, one-way) and sees a 600 mile hwy trip about 4 times a year. Even at 10-11mpg, I can get 3 weeks out of a tank of gas. This truck may never see a track and if it does it may only be once or twice while I own it, which I'm planning on owning it a very long time. I want the TVS for instant torque in town and effortless passing on the highway. And because I think it's badass and I just really, really want one.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i can check at work tomorrow and see what it would cost.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't mind about losing the differential warranty but I was hoping to not void the whole powertrain warranty. Especially with people having trouble with the AFM after 40k miles. I guess if i disable it I shouldn't have to worry about that.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I found a shop in Olathe that seems reputable, they quoted me $350 per axle + fluid costs and tax if I provide the gears and install kit. I think that's the way I'll go, now I just need to get a dealer on board to update my VIN to GT4.

Ron's sells a couple different Master Install kits, I'm thinking stepping up to the one with Timken bearings is worth the extra money, any input on this?

Quick Reply: Dealer gear swap rediculous... venting