Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Dealer gear swap rediculous... venting

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running rons US standard gears in the rear of my truck now. My installer keeps them in stock and likes using them. If 4.56s were made by AAM I would have spent the extra cash and bought them in a heart beat. Like nonnie says AAMs are the best
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, changing gears does NOT effect warranty. Unless it is a failure of the gears or bearings that were changed/modified. If that's the case, you should go back to whomever did the install for warranty. And $4000+ is ridiculous! For front and rear on your truck, you should be between $1000-$2000. Depending on gear price, master overhaul price, and lockers (if any), and labor.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about gears affecting the warranty. Then again, if my truck had a warranty I would worry about that too. But those days are looooong gone.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

what dealers did you call?!!

superior?
molle?
cable dahmer?

that is flat out ****** insane man. they don't take than long to change out. 4k worth better involve a new gm trans.

i can tweak the tune for the gear. that's easy.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is why I get nothing done by a dealer, other than the fact that the "local" dealer here has a bunch of people that don't act like they could care less if they get your business or not. They go by the book as to what it takes as far as time in order to bill for labor. If they can do the job in 2 hours, but the book says it takes 8, you're going to get an estimate for 8 hours, I don't know how billing works out in that mess.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Area47
what dealers did you call?!!

superior?
molle?
cable dahmer?

that is flat out ****** insane man. they don't take than long to change out. 4k worth better involve a new gm trans.

i can tweak the tune for the gear. that's easy.
I called superior and dale willey where I bought it (Lawrence), then I called McCarthy who said 1500 per axle... Superior tried to tell me that it would void the transmission warranty because it "messes up all the gearing"... I was like, you can order this exact truck with 3.73 gears. I want factory gears, there is no way it will affect the transmission. So they said it will put more stress on the drive train and I was like, no, it will do the opposite. 3.08 gears absolutely kills the mechanical advantage. The guy from McCarthy said "but I bet you get good gas mileage!" I was like, no way man, I get 10mpg. I drive 85% in town, below 50mph and tall gears are terrible for that type of driving...... I was so pissed by that time.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of the main reasons I wanted the dealer to do the install is so they could flash the computers with factory programming since it's a factory gear option, so I could maintain most of my warranty. If I get an aftermarket shop to do it, that's all good with the gears, but then I need a tune and the tune is what is going to sink me with the rest of my warranty. Even though a want a tune so so so so so so bad....... I bought GM certified used partly so I could "enjoy" an extended warranty.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can have the gears installed in your truck and go by the dealership to have it flashed. I asked this question in an old post. My buddy wants to do the same install as you, he got stuck with 3.08s also.

heres the thread:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...9/#post4929064

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Go to dealer tell them you need GT4 option added to vin. Dealer will have to call technical assistance tell them to change the axle ration option to GT4 they will charge the dealer 50 bucks to add it to his VIN. They will then simply reflash the PCM and he's good to go.

In the future should a pcm die or update be done everything will be correct because the GT4 3:73 was added to the VIN at factory level.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for this info. This sounds like a good thing, if I can find a dealer/GM tech that is willing to help me out... I have a feeling none of them are going to want to touch it.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I used to work at Andy Kline when it was a GMC Pontiac dealer. They would most likely be the same. A dealer is not a good place to get a diff swapped. Find an independent shop, and take it there with the gears and posi unit already bought and see what they would charge. I am lucky enough to have 24 hour access to a full service repair shop, but I know that they charge walk in customers right around $300-400 for a gear set up per axle.

Quick Reply: Dealer gear swap rediculous... venting