Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

D-shaft issue and trans question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D-shaft issue and trans question

hey guys got two questions reguarding my truck...ever since i threw the 488 gearsets in my rear d-shaft has had vibrations like no other, i cant even cruise at 70, it literally feels like its gonna come through the floor...at WOT past 70 it gets worse and worse until about 105-110 range then it goes back to small vibes. due to how firm the trans shifts i tend to go through autismzone ujoints every 2mo.(i know theyre cheap but with warranty there free). also besides the mad vibrations my truck doesnt wrap the speedo like it does from 0-70, it still pulls good but not how it should. could vibes slow ya down? as for the messed up driveshaft should i even bother trying to get it rebalanced? or should i just go with a custom? local shop in kenosha made a custom one for my old 90 and NOTHING would break that thing, not to mention 240 was pretty reasonable.

my second question is with my trans, id like to run a synthetic...ive heard bad about royal purple atf and was gonna go with the TCI max shift synt, a lot of our buddies that race swear by it but i was curious about any other opinions or any other synthetic atfs i should look for? also thought about amsoil too

thanks in advance

tj
Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

I wouldnt worry about the trans fluid, any dex3 will do, I personally use the walmart supertech stuff.

Are you sure the rear pinion had the proper preload? If the crush sleeve isnt fully crushed, or overcrushed, you will have all sorts of angry noises and bad vibrations. Also, what is your pinion angle?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly man ive thought about stayin with it but im so ocd with stuff its kinda insane/annoying, i was told by the guy who went through my trans just drop the pan n filter n top it off every 20k if im beatin the snot out of it, i just figured itd probably be a good idea with how hard i beat on my truck, and with the L60e's bad rep. not to mention ive heard about dex foaming at high revs so i figured i should change it. also...i think i mightve just fucked up, i added a qt of dex vi today since my tranny cooler line decided to split n leak so any advice here lol? i swear man today is just not my day...

as for the crush sleeve it was down to spec, wear pattern was perfect backlash was at .08 and pinion depth was correct. but its always had a tiny bit of whine on drive side and not the coast, talked to genuine gear and they claimed their performance gearsets were a bit noisier than the OEM quality...and it definitley got nosier after i decided to take my aggression out on my truck last night, now its a pretty significant whine/howl so thats another thing i should definitley look at. and my bad man, i gave ya the wrong information...i got the vibes after my dumbass friend decided to pop the stock plastic retained ujoints with a ball joint tool while i had to go run and grab parts for my truck...i wouldnt be surpised if he bent an ear, speaking of that im sure it doesnt help but the ears are getting pretty worn out also...no joke ive probably put 6 or 7 sets of u joints in in the last year. as for my pinion angle im on a 3in(1 over stock) RC block thats tapered to compensate for the angle