Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Custom shorter wheelbase

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom shorter wheelbase

I have a long bed single cab and am going to convert it to a short bed. The truck will be pretty close to a gutted track truck on fully adjustable 4 link. Has anyone ever thought about or built a truck to have a shorter wheel base that a stock single cab short bed? If I'm going to shorten the truck why not make it a bit shorter?

Anyone thing it would help weight transfer better? As far as the bed goes I could just cut off the front of the bed a d bring the wheel well right up to almost the back of the cab. Any idea's or input on this ?

Going to be built for dig racing. Thanks in advance
Old 04-24-2014, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you talkin about putting a bed from a crew cab (also extended cab bed) on your truck, I know those beds are shorter than single cab beds.

That would be better than cutting up a regular bed, I would think.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Shorter! Lol. I'm taking about moving the rear axel forward to make the wheelbase shorter than any model silverado. Then revamp the original truck bed sides to accommodate it
Old 04-25-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen or heard of it done and probably for good reason. It would look goofy as hell.

I have seen the super-short beds from crew cabs put on a regular cab, but that doesn't move the wheel base, only shortens up the end of the bed even more.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

The thought is correct. Nut to short will make a whole lot more work than u realize and probably can do without taking it to a shop. It will cost alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Teching In

My chassi builder is very good and pretty cheap for me, and my brother owns a body shop on the side. I'm sure I can get everything done real cheap. I was just wondering if anyone has tried or has done this. I'm sure it would look a little goofy because where not used to it and it will be slightly Unproportioned. What are your thoughts as a better weight transfer? I'm trying to go 8's without 1500hp and hook hard on the street. Truck will be gutted. I've eve. Considered moving the engine back and lower.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KevinF56
I have never seen or heard of it done and probably for good reason. It would look goofy as hell.

I have seen the super-short beds from crew cabs put on a regular cab, but that doesn't move the wheel base, only shortens up the end of the bed even more.
The distance from the rear of the cab to the wheel center is different on the nnbs 5.5' crew cab bed and the 6.5' reg and ext cab beds. It will shorten the wheel base.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pezboy
The distance from the rear of the cab to the wheel center is different on the nnbs 5.5' crew cab bed and the 6.5' reg and ext cab beds. It will shorten the wheel base.
I guess you're right. For some reason I thought it didn't move the axle forward but it looks like it does:

Name:  herecomestrouble.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  56.5 KB
Old 04-27-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pezboy
That's what I was thinkin' I knew they didn't take it off the back. That's why I was giving the OP that idea, would be easier to swap beds rather than butcher one to accommodate shortening the frame.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:48 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's fast, it will be squirrelly on the big end with a super short wheelbase. I hope your chassis guy knows his stuff. Getting sideways at 130-150 mph ain't no picnic.

Quick Reply: Custom shorter wheelbase