Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Close Ratio Steering Box?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Close Ratio Steering Box?

Does anybody know if there is a close ratio steering box available for our trucks (99-07 NBS)? Does anyone have one on their truck? If so, how much did you pay and how do you like it? I would like to tighten up the steering on my truck a little.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i remember a thread a long while back and the only thing anyone could come up with was trying to adapt a 98-02 F-body or C5 vette steering box to a NBS truck, i havent heard anything else about it
Old 12-28-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2wd trucks are rack and pinion steering. Not sure about 4wd, but I believe the have a conventional steering box. I would be cautious using one from a car though given the weight and tire size of a truck. One option would be to run a steering quickener box. It would require some adapters and probably a custom staft.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-28-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
2wd trucks are rack and pinion steering. Not sure about 4wd, but I believe the have a conventional steering box. I would be cautious using one from a car though given the weight and tire size of a truck. One option would be to run a steering quickener box. It would require some adapters and probably a custom staft.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
yeah i used a ratio quickener on my 98 k1500 back when... just made 2 custom shafts and couplers... worked great..

oh yeah dont forget a bracket for the ear reduction unit
Old 12-29-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I should have mentioned that my truck is a 4WD because I definately have a gear box. I was hoping that someone made an upgraded (close ratio direct bolt-in) gear box for my truck. I never heard of a ratio quickner before. That gives me one possibility but it sounds like there is some fabricating needed.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TurboJohn6
I guess I should have mentioned that my truck is a 4WD because I definately have a gear box. I was hoping that someone made an upgraded (close ratio direct bolt-in) gear box for my truck. I never heard of a ratio quickner before. That gives me one possibility but it sounds like there is some fabricating needed.
yeah there is definitely some fabrication needed... havent heard about any aftermarket close ratio boxes, but when i get back to work monday ill see if any of the local lift shops know anything.. ill keep ya posted
Old 12-29-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! I appreiate it.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

You could always take apart the box and get some custom gears cut. I believe they're just spur gears in there, or helical. Some of these big gear cutting companies may even have a part number that would work. That's all a quicker ratio steering box is. I know with 1st gen Camaros, they offered a few different steering ratios, and dimensionally on the outside they were all the same. Just different gears on the inside I believe.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

A company called AGR makes high performance power steering pumps and different ratio steering boxes. performancecenterdotcom sells them. For a silverado they sell their steering box 1 or 2. 1 is for off-road with a steering ratio of 20:1 all the time and box 2 varies from 16:1-13:1. Basically when your on a freeway or windy open road, the steering is very tight like the feel of a sports car, where the car reacts quicker to sudden steers, and when your in a parking lot or in town making sharp turns, the steering loosens up making it easier on your pump and you having to turn the wheel more. On their website they have a kit listed only up to a 2001 pickup, but they told me that all the boxes on the past GM trucks have been the same for years. You can also call AGR through their website if you have any questions. Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:02 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what i can find my tahoe is already 12.7:1. not sure what yours is but that maybe a start.

*EDIT* ok from what i found the trucks have 14:1 in 2wd and 4wd but the tahoe has 14:1 in 2WD but 12.7:1 in 4WD. so i would look for a 4wd tahoe and use its box. now this info was for 2005 (tahoe) http://media.gm.com/division/2005_pr...hoe/index.html (silverado) http://media.gm.com/division/2005_pr...ado/index.html

Last edited by 4.8T; 12-30-2007 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Close Ratio Steering Box?