Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Close Ratio Steering Box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
from what i can find my tahoe is already 12.7:1. not sure what yours is but that maybe a start.

*EDIT* ok from what i found the trucks have 14:1 in 2wd and 4wd but the tahoe has 14:1 in 2WD but 12.7:1 in 4WD. so i would look for a 4wd tahoe and use its box. now this info was for 2005 (tahoe) http://media.gm.com/division/2005_pr...hoe/index.html (silverado) http://media.gm.com/division/2005_pr...ado/index.html

Can anyone confirm if that above info is fact?
Unfortunately those links no longer work.
I am possibly looking in to one of the AGR steering boxes for my 4wd RCSB, but if the above is true then I may just try to source a 4wd SUV box just to atleast try the quicker ratio first and see how my truck responds.
One of the big things I would enjoy is not only the quicker turning, but if at all possible more road feel/ feedback. Not sure if the SUV box would give that, but the AGR 12:1 supposedly does.
Also anyone know what the deal is where AGR part #'s are different between 2001 1/2 ton and 2002+??? As far as I know both my 2002 Sierra 4wd and 2001 Silverado 4wd have identical steering???
Old 05-31-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShredSled
Can anyone confirm if that above info is fact?
Unfortunately those links no longer work.
I am possibly looking in to one of the AGR steering boxes for my 4wd RCSB, but if the above is true then I may just try to source a 4wd SUV box just to atleast try the quicker ratio first and see how my truck responds.
One of the big things I would enjoy is not only the quicker turning, but if at all possible more road feel/ feedback. Not sure if the SUV box would give that, but the AGR 12:1 supposedly does.
Also anyone know what the deal is where AGR part #'s are different between 2001 1/2 ton and 2002+??? As far as I know both my 2002 Sierra 4wd and 2001 Silverado 4wd have identical steering???

I've been looking around for a quick ratio box as well.. I ran across the AGR box as well, then I ran across this video on Youtube.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5WK_Z4G8HQ

That sort of makes me apprehensive, in the past I replaced my stock ratio box in my Typhoon with a quick ratio box courtesy of the guys at Power Steering Services, Inc. - www.PowerSteering.com - 1-417-739-9010 | Modern Steering For Classic Cars. I was quite happy with the results and it worked like a champ, in fact I'd do it again in a heartbeat.. I may call them and see what they say they have available for our truck.. I have an '03 RCSB that I want to replace a steering box in as well...
Old 05-31-2014, 09:04 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a 2004 Tahoe AWD and lock to lock is 2.5 turns.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into red head steering boxes. I replaced my worn out factory box with one they rebuilt and love it. If i remember right they will taylor one to your needs. just my .02
Old 06-02-2014, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wink

OK guys/gals.. I am going to share this with you since I did some phone research today.

I called powersteering.com and talked to the owner of the business at length today. He was quite willing to share his knowledge and explain what he does and all the variables involved with upgrading a stock steering box to a fast ratio box.

He told me that the year (2003) truck I have came with a specific casting # on the bottom of it. He predicted this number was a raised "83", (later trucks had a raised "84", as I type this I realize I didn't ask when the changeover occurred, sorry).

Only the casting with the raised "83" can be upgraded to a constant ratio of 12.7:1. The boxes that are marked with the "84" can NOT be upgraded to a quick ratio box because of an internal modification that was made with the update.

No reason for alarm however, even if you have the "84" box be aware that BOTH boxes are interchangeable with each other, but only the "83" can be upgraded, but the footprint is exactly the same on both boxes as are all the connections etc so either box can go in ANY truck.

He said stock ratio for my year was a 13:1-16:1 variable ratio, he went so far as to explain how all the internals work, but more or less the faster ratio only kicks in at slower speeds to assist parking maneuvers.

When he does his upgrades, he completely disassembles the box, does an inspection, and replaces all of the wear parts, and installs the quicker ratio gearset; all parts installed are NEW equipment, not re-manufactured or salvage parts. I felt this was important to note, I mean after all you are modifying one of the more critical systems of the vehicle.

Anyhow, he can modify your existing steering box if you dismount and send to him; or he has a limited number of cores that he does on an exchange basis. In fact I ordered my quick ratio box today. He's shipping to me once it's completed, I'll install it, and return my old box to him for core return. We are talking about literally 1/2 of a day downtime to upgrade to the quick ratio box!

I did this modification on my Typhoon back when I owned it and it made a huge difference in the personality of the truck.. I can't remember what the stock ratio on the SyTy was, but afterwards it was the same 12.7:1 and I remember it being one of the better modifications I made. The change in gearing/ratios the steering allows the steering to become more linear and assist is constant throughout the entire travel.

OK so, if you're still interested and actually still reading this you are probably wondering what it all costs, that is perhaps the best news of all. He quoted me $369+ shipping (shipping to my address is around $35).

If you go with the CORE route like I did, its an additional $150 and the ride to his shop.. This is still cheaper than I found the re-man units at major retailers via the internet.. Best part is, the money goes into a family business, I have used his product in the past on another project.

Once again, I hope everyone finds this information useful, I have no affiliation with this business;for that matter I don't have any affiliation with any business on this site, I'm just passing information along for those who may not know where to turn (pun intended).

Good luck guys..
Old 06-09-2014, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

My quick ratio box showed up today.. Going to throw on a quick coat of paint and maybe get it up on the truck this weekend..

Name:  PSBox2.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  87.8 KB

Close up of the casting mark/numbers I was talking about before...
Name:  PSBox3.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  62.2 KB
Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on how much of a difference this made if any?
Old 11-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by bottledbird68
Any updates on how much of a difference this made if any?
X2

Any updates?

Was this swap worth it?