Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Calling all suspension gurus.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all suspension gurus.

im thinking bout changing around the front suspension on the rst, my question is.... would i get a better combination of handling/ride comfort if i went with a set of aftermarket lowered control arms and stock springs or with stock springs and a dropped spindles?

the truck currently has ground force drop springs and stock control arms and spindles. im lookin for the same ride height just trying to get away from that damn stiff *** front springs. the truck is sitting on the bump stops when its parked in the driveway so it rough sometimes out on the road. i was thinking by going back to the stock spring the suspension might have alittle more travel and therefore give me a smoother ride on those bumpy streets. please correct me if im wrong.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put the stock front springs back in, and get some drop spindles . . . how much of a drop are you doing ?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Launching!

I went with the DJM 4/6 drop, which is a stock spring, combined with a new lower control arm. I am very pleased with how it rides. It is soft, yet you can still throw the truck into a corner with good control.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tootall
put the stock front springs back in, and get some drop spindles . . . how much of a drop are you doing ?
its like 1.5" - 2" drop right now. so thats kinda where i wanna stay.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Yeah, if it is only 2" I would do a spindle. It is probably the cheapest.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

whats your guys opinion on the best product to go with for a drop spindle?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Launching!

I have a set of belltech's in my Sonoma and also had a set in an S-10. I was quite happy with them. That is the only experience I have had with spindles
Old 08-06-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Being an RST owner, I am all too familar with our suspensions. First off, I would just cut some of the bump stop away. I did this on my truck and it rides WAY better, then if you are still running the Nitro drop shocks the truck came with, pull them out and burn them. Then go buy some stock KYB's and put those in and your truck will ride SO much better! Promise! as for the back end, cut some of the bumpstop off of there too and see how much that helps as well.... Oh and I am not just saying this, everything I just told you to do I did to my truck, so I know it will make a difference....hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1quickRST
Being an RST owner, I am all too familar with our suspensions. First off, I would just cut some of the bump stop away. I did this on my truck and it rides WAY better, then if you are still running the Nitro drop shocks the truck came with, pull them out and burn them. Then go buy some stock KYB's and put those in and your truck will ride SO much better! Promise! as for the back end, cut some of the bumpstop off of there too and see how much that helps as well.... Oh and I am not just saying this, everything I just told you to do I did to my truck, so I know it will make a difference....hope this helps!
+1!

The biggest thing to look at when you want a smoother ride are the shocks, tires/wheels, and is the suspension binding up or hitting anything anywhere (bumpstops in this case.)

Try doing what he said with the bumpstops first since it is basically free. Then, if you haven't already, change the shocks.