Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brakes

Stockers have been turned once according to previous owner, and are worn out now, 145,000 miles, they served their time. Pads have good amount of life left, but it stops like poo.

I'm on a budget.

It's a RCSB 2wd 2003 pickup with a 5.3L

Are there bigger rotors from crew cab silverados that will work or something like that?

I have decided I want semi-metallic pads, these are ceramic that are on it and I am not happy with them.

Here is what I have been considering for Rotors so far:

Napa Ultra Premium Rotors (have lifetime warpage warranty as long as thickness is within spec)

Raybestos Advanced Technology Rotors (research says same as NAPA, but no warranty, but they're cheaper)

ACDelco Durastop from Rock Auto

EBC UPR Premium Replacement Rotors
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-UPR7047/

SSBC Slotted Rotor and pad kit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-A2351019/

Pads

Monroe Semi-metallic pads (looks like they come with the sliders too)
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1054806

Summit Racing Brand Semi-metallic pads
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-D785-7653/

EBC Ultimax Pads
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-UD785/

input wanted on what I have been looking at and other possible options.
Thank you

Please consider this a budget!!! But I don't want to skimp on quality either.

Last edited by offroadrider12; 05-18-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I think the stock replacement rotors are fine and most stuff from Napa is good. I replaced my rotors last fall and I just got them from Autozone even though I really don't care for Autozone, but they are working fine. Can't say much about pads, I usually use the Wagner Thermoquite pads.

Honestly the very best thing I've done to improve my brakes was switching to Hydroboost. The cost was way less than any custom larger brake setup and I would bet rivals their performance. I think I spent around $300 for the conversion and it wasn't difficult to install.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

My dad has a 00 truck identical to mine, and he's had the autozone & oriley's rotors and his truck always has a horrible pulsation from the pedal within less than a year from replacement, I just don't want to deal with that. His rotors shouldn't be warping, esp since he drives all highway.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the Brembo blanks from NAPA and you should be good to go. It's what they sell, or used to sell since it's been a bit since I've been in there, when you ask for replacement rotors.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are on a pretty tight budget and don’t mind a little wrecking yard shopping or you can even buy the parts new from what I understand pretty reasonable from the parts store, you can –

1) Obtain the larger front rotors, caliper brackets and calipers from a ’05 + 1/2 ton truck with rear drums.
2) Obtain the larger rear rotors, caliper brackets and calipers from a 1/2 ton SUV, Silverado SS or Denali that has the dual piston rear calipers.

Of course you will need the matching brake pads as well, but if you were to do that in conjunction with possibly adding stainless braided brake lines you would have the best possible combination you could get using factory parts. Then if that still doesn’t put enough stop in your go, you could still do the hydro-boost conversion later.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to upgrade the brakes on my tahoe with SSBC big rotor kit and Hawk pads for under $500. This upgrade was amazing, I never thought it could stop like it does.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
If you are on a pretty tight budget and don’t mind a little wrecking yard shopping or you can even buy the parts new from what I understand pretty reasonable from the parts store, you can –

1) Obtain the larger front rotors, caliper brackets and calipers from a ’05 + 1/2 ton truck with rear drums.
2) Obtain the larger rear rotors, caliper brackets and calipers from a 1/2 ton SUV, Silverado SS or Denali that has the dual piston rear calipers.

Of course you will need the matching brake pads as well, but if you were to do that in conjunction with possibly adding stainless braided brake lines you would have the best possible combination you could get using factory parts. Then if that still doesn’t put enough stop in your go, you could still do the hydro-boost conversion later.
Will those brakes work with 16" wheels?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Will those brakes work with 16" wheels?
The back will, but the front requires a minimum of a 17" wheel (at least with factory wheels). I highly doubt you will find a 16" that will clear the fronts.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

So the 05+ rear drums will fit with my 16"s, if so that would rock. Drums are cheaper anyway. Would I need a new proportioning valve if I switch to drums?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
So the 05+ rear drums will fit with my 16"s, if so that would rock. Drums are cheaper anyway. Would I need a new proportioning valve if I switch to drums?
Not what I was suggesting at all, but yes the 16" wheels will clear the drum brakes. I'm sure it will take a few more donor parts, as the wheel cylinders of a drum brake equipped vehicle do not take near the amount of pressure as does a disc brake caliper.

Quick Reply: brakes