Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Best tranny cooling procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best tranny cooling procedure?

After driving your truck hard, would it be best to keep driving the truck normal and easy to keep airflow going under the truck, or would leaving your truck sitting at idle with my e-fans on be the best way to cool it down. As of right now, I am using the in radiator tranny cooler FYI.

Would either of these options be better than turn the truck off and letting it cool off on its own?
Old 11-08-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your flowing air over the cooler in park/neutral then I'd just leave it in park/N. I don't think air going under the truck is going to cool it that much (at least not on my Grand Prix or Monte), I don't have a temp guage on my silverado but I think air flowing past the cooler is the best idea.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:14 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just shut it down but good question...how hot is hot? Even when I screw around my temps stay pretty low.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah dont shut it down you need that fluid to flow thru the cooler, now park/n or drive it easy.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:12 PM
traveling mod

my temps climb if im sitting idle in park.but ya how hot are your temps getting?
i pulled 6k lb's a 1000 miles earlier this year and my temps never got over 150* stock cooler btw
Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Temps will rise setting still running and more so when in gear any energy not transfered to the wheels becomes heat its that simple. There no reason to leave the engine running to cool the trans unless your at the track and then idle in park with good air flow across and after market cooler would be good,
As for just going through the stock radiator setup idling you would likely get more cooling with the engine off as the engine makes more heat than the trans ever does
Old 11-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Wearin' da big hat

This question was more of a "What to do if..." type question. Thanks for all the replys so far. I figured it would be a better idea to let it going so the tranny is pumping fluid through it and keeping the fluid moving, rather than letting it sit and making the fluid get warmer around all the hot parts.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Temps will rise setting still running and more so when in gear any energy not transfered to the wheels becomes heat its that simple. There no reason to leave the engine running to cool the trans unless your at the track and then idle in park with good air flow across and after market cooler would be good,
As for just going through the stock radiator setup idling you would likely get more cooling with the engine off as the engine makes more heat than the trans ever does
I don't think that's a very true statment. Temps will rise to a point, just above ambient air temp when at idle in park/N. However, if your trans was just at 210 degress and you have now run the truck for 5 or 10 min in park you'll see the temp drop quickly as air moves over it. Why do you think in the PCM when the trans goes over temp it states to pull over and idle engine? If you can keep air moving over your cooler the temp will drop to close to the ambient air temp (maybe 10 to 20 degrees above it) at idle.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Question, do you still have your shroud on?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
Question, do you still have your shroud on?
No, Its not on because I've got E-Fans now.

Quick Reply: Best tranny cooling procedure?