Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

bad shutter when starting out

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad shutter when starting out

This is actually about my other vehicle that the wife mostly drives which is an 01 Isuzu Rodeo 4wd and didnt really know where to post this, and know that no one hardly visits the import section and need some advise besides crush it. Any ways, when I roll through the gear selections on the floor board, the readout on the dash will sometimes read different than the the gear I select on the floor board, for instance if I am in drive on the floor board, the dash display will say I am in park, and if I go back in forth a few times it will eventually match up. Any ways, I also noticed that when I stab the peddle from a start, the tranny shutters bucks and jerks really bad untill it switches to the next gear (automatic). If I start off slowly, it is usually fine - no shutter and never shutters once I get going. I went today to have tranny fluid and transfer case oil exchanged and it will still shutter, and does it mostly when it is cold. Any one have any thoughts or ideas it would be highly appreciated.
-thanks in advance
Old 07-21-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a little search and found out that when the indicator and the shift lever do not align than it is a faulty transmission range sensor. I found a "how to" write up to pull the sensor assembly out, take it apart and clean the contacts inside and this is a very common problem with isuzu rodeos. I hope this works and am sure that it will fix the display vs. floor shifter and hope this is also related to the violent shutter I get when starting out in 1st gear.