Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Anyone spun axle shaft/center section conection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone spun axle tube/center section conection?

I did last night and now my pinion angle is a F'd up...... any advice on spinning it back so I can weld it up?

I was thinking about trying a couple hard launches in reverse lol!

Last edited by shakinlm7; 04-28-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe that T56 conversion gets too much power to the wheels. How do u know or do u have the old pinion angle # written down? Can't u just ****** ahead of the front w/ wheels off ground, then get it back down where it needs to be? I'm thinkin loosen U-bolts, then position as needed. I don't know if it's that simple...but also, wouldn't one have to take off d/shaft to make it easier to grab the front of pinion?

Regardless if I'm wrong or right, since some of it will be easier to weld now, weld what u want, then after u won'tbe fighting to reach the less accessible part. My .02.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Maybe that T56 conversion gets too much power to the wheels. How do u know or do u have the old pinion angle # written down? Can't u just ****** ahead of the front w/ wheels off ground, then get it back down where it needs to be? I'm thinkin loosen U-bolts, then position as needed. I don't know if it's that simple...but also, wouldn't one have to take off d/shaft to make it easier to grab the front of pinion?

The rear end spent a few years in a high HP truck before going into mine so I'm sure the combination of that and my spec clutch are the cause. Before last night the front of the center section was pointing down toward the ground a little. Last night I was enjoying my new six speed and punched it hard during a slow roll. My wheels hopped much harder than ever before and I heard some loud clunking so I let off it and babied it home. The front of my center section is now pointing up toward the bed so bad that my yokes rub when I accelerate or hit big bumps.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to budge it with out some serious leverage and the axle shafts held tight. Hopefully leaving them bolted to the leaf springs will be enough but I don't know how much they will flex.....
Old 04-27-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shakinlm7
My wheels hopped much harder than ever before and I heard some loud clunking so I let off it and babied it home.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to budge it with out some serious leverage and the axle shafts held tight. Hopefully leaving them bolted to the leaf springs will be enough but I don't know how much they will flex.....
I did a braketorque w/ mine 1 day, & my coworkers said they heard something that didn't sound right since it wheelhopped like a ...I try not to do that now.

Ya, I figured a prybar would be needed somewhere in the mix. I'd just hoped it'd be easier for ya. Makin HP + Breakin parts = my Empty wallet. Good luck. I'd like to hear how it worked out.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I tried to use two big *** pipe wrenches with a 4 foot jack handle on each for leverage and I couldn't budge it.... I might set the rear of frame up on cinder blocks or something sturdy and figure out some way to attach a come-along under the truck and to the front of the center section. I've spent hours searching on google with out any luck.... I think I'm gonna cry lol!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shakinlm7
I did last night and now my pinion angle is a F'd up...... any advice on spinning it back so I can weld it up?

I was thinking about trying a couple hard launches in reverse lol!

If you do that......PLEASE get some vids!!!!