Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

ACE Racing 4L80 Initial Impression

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACE Racing 4L80 Initial Impression

Today was the first day I got to drive my truck with my newly installed Ace Racing 4L80 and Circle D 3000 Stall Triple Disk converter (265 mm).

Just a little background. I was running a Performabuilt Level II with one of their 3000 stall billet converters and this past April it bit the dust by breaking the output shaft.

After a lot of research and debating, I decided to go with a 4L80 swap. Chris Sehorn from Circle D (owner) is the one who recommended Gilbert at Ace. On the initial conversation, Gilbert and I spoke for about an hour about me, my truck, and my future goals. He then took the time to develop a build plan which included the converter, 99+ core (mine is 2001 G2500 transmission) billet input shaft, billet intermediate shaft, billet forward clutch hub and all soft parts including TransGo HD-2 shift kit, sprags and one way rollers. He does not put a HP/TQ limit on his transmissions but knowing how I use my truck, how heavy it was and what I am expecting in the future, this is what he recommended. If I had to guess I would say it can take an easy 900 HP or so.

Anyways, after a few weeks of waiting, the transmission came in with converter nicely wrapped and strapped to a full size pallet. I was a little surprised/upset that the transmission was merely cleaned up and nicely painted but the outside is not what matters. The inside is what counts!!

While waiting, I completely rebuilt the transfer case with 32 spline input (to mate to the 4L80) and also the billet pump rub modification kit. I also rebuilt the front axle as the (2) carrier bearings were worn/pitted.

Onto the transmission install, it went straightforward with a lot of research on KYSilverado's post along with others. I purchased a specific dipstick and shift cable bracket for the 4L80. The converter was built with the 3-bolt case so it mated up to my factory flexplate. I modified the crossmember accordingly and the exhaust fit (but very tight). I purchased a front driveshaft from a 2500 truck with 5-speed Alison and rebuilt that. The rear driveshaft was 100% custom made by a local company by the name of Mitchell Driveshaft. I upgraded to 1350 U-joints and used 3-1/2" steel tube. It is rated to 900 HP.

Justin at Blackbear originally sent me a 4L60 tune to run the 4L80 but I failed to realize I needed to do a relay modification in order to make it work properly so upon initial driving, it was all messed up! I spoke with Justin and he sent me a "segment swap" tune to get me up and running and today was the first drive.

Impressions: I was originally a little skeptical about the taller 1st gear of the 4L80 and even contemplated having him install a new 1-2 gear set of 2.75/1.56. Due to cost, I told him that stock would be OK for now and he said its a simple upgrade in the future if needed.

Having driven it around 100 miles so far, I can say I doubt I will ever go that route. I have not had the opportunity to go WOT yet due to the recent rain but it drives much better compared to the super low 1st gear of the 4L60. Also, the shifts (up and down) are worlds different than the 4L60. Much more positive and crisp.

Anyways, sorry for the long post but I feel based upon my initial impression, it was a decision well worth all the time and trouble. Gilbert is a super nice, knowledgeable individual who will explain anything (almost too much) to you to be sure you know what you are getting into. He can be difficult to get a hold of and the build did take a lot longer than expected but I realize that he runs a shop full time and is also a very valuable part of many race teams. It is by no means a cheap investment but well worth the blood, sweat and frustration and I look forward to having a super solid foundation that I will not have to worry about.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats. I can't wait to eventually do the swap on mine. I've heard great things about his transmissions and will definitely look to him if its within my price range.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Good to hear you are happy with it, the 80E has a much more positive feeling shift IMO. Its fast but smooth and the downshifts are like butter compared to the harshness of the 60's downshifts.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Congrats on your Upgrade!!!

I have always wanted to drive a 4L80E with the 2.75 first gear just for comparison purposes.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

When was the last time you heard from Gilbert, Cakes? I've been trying to get ahold of him for a while now. My trans from him is still doing well. Been hitting it with near 1000hp for a few months now and haven't had a problem.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I talked with him via email yesterday.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Once you go 80e you never go back to a 60e
Old 07-11-2013, 10:03 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Once you go 80e you never go back to a 60e
X2

And the 60e gear ratios suck ***** in a forced induction vehicle, first gear was worthless and I blew thru it quickly on a full throttle stab . I hated it.
The 80e first gear is perfect , even out of boost . Anyone who thinks they are "settling " for the 80e first gear will be pleasantly surprised.

Glad to hear your happy !
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Launching!

x2 for gilbert ace transmission i have two of his 4l80e...one is in an on going project and other in truck...i actually meet him in person and had him do the install great guy to deal with
Old 07-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

Default Ace Trans

Where is he located ?

Quick Reply: ACE Racing 4L80 Initial Impression