Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

a4-t56 loose ends

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4-t56 loose ends

in the process of converting 4wd auto to 2wd t56, got a couple questions. got the extended cab short bed 3 door. clutch is in, trans is in and at correct height with modified crossmember. I want to do all of this right the first time so I'm not screwing around later. these are just a couple things im not 100% sure on.

1. drive shaft.

looking like i'll be needing a 2 piece seeing as the angle may interfere with the torsion bar crossmember. will I be able to run a 2wd 2 piece stock driveshaft that I could just pull off a junkyard truck or get from the dealer? what have others run? my truck is lifted 2'' in the rear to somewhat level it with the front.

2. extra harness connections.

now that the transfer case and a4 are out what do I do about all of this extra harness chillin under the truck? I don't like hoopty sh*t and I feel like theres gotta be a safe way to either seal these connections orr shave everything I'm not using all togather. got my neutral safety switch, reverse lights, and speed sensor taken care of. not too worried about anything else as far and reverse lockout and whatnot.

3. master cyl/pedal assembly

can't read about this swap or any other manual Silverado/sierra out there without hearing about the master/pedal assembly being weak or always breaking. has someone figured out a good setup that can take abuse? I do welding/fab for a living and I'm not afraid to dig into something to figure it out and make it better if no one else has any ideas. anyone figure out how to get a tick master in there and make it work with the factory pedal? just trying to get some ideas here. any input is appreciated!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to tackle this same swap, even going from 4WD to 2WD myself also.

If I were you, I would not ignore the reverse lockout. Reverse is right next to 5th gear and it would ruin your day if you were on the highway and accidently hit reverse instead of 5th.

As for the clutch pedal, I've looked at mine a little bit and will probably get a couple 6"x6" pieces of 14-16 gauge sheet metal, then cut the large hole through both. Drill a hole at each corner through both pieces and sandwich the firewall with the new pieces of sheetmetal. Haven't looked at it super close but this is what I'm envisioning.

Mike