Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

80e failure list

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80e failure list

well as of today add me to the list...

this came on not expected at all...i woke up after working all nite and decided to go to the store for supplys after driving 500 miles to work..
left work which is about 4 miles off the beaten path...about 1/2 way to the hiway i met a tanker truck coming in so i moved over and let him pass...when i got ready to get back on the gravel road the truck would not move i couldnt believe it so i turned the truck off and checked the fluids...all ok....started it back up and put in drive and it went into gear so i drove for about 100 yards and rpm's were rising and mph was falling.i was like this cant be happening...very low mileage '05 80e with shift kit...anyway i figured i better try to get back to the location and started back 100 yards at a time till i could get a good cell sig and called for them to come tow me back...the fluid did not smell before all this went on but when i got back it did ...we went to town and i bought a filter and some fluid...got back and pulled the pan...it was full of clutch dusted oil...metalic in color...the filter was full also.changed it all out and went for a test drive...it's shifting fine right now but i know with all the material i saw in the pan it wont last long i dont think...
seems like it's been dusting ever since the swap and finally just got enough in the oil that it was plugging the filter up starving the pump...
Old 05-22-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's probably the clutch material from the converter pluging up the filter then no pressure. It's a problem, big horse, heavy vehicle,loose converter, hard on those lock up clutches. Happened to me too. I have the tow/haul switch programed to shut off the lock up when "gettin on it".
Old 05-22-2009, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raffman
It's probably the clutch material from the converter pluging up the filter then no pressure. It's a problem, big horse, heavy vehicle,loose converter, hard on those lock up clutches. Happened to me too. I have the tow/haul switch programed to shut off the lock up when "gettin on it".

Me Too. I did the same with the TH button except in reverse (I engage my LU with the button).
Old 05-22-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is a good idea with the TH button, I do not have a TH button anymore because I have a floor shifter now. To my understanding though my tune is set for no lock up under full throtle.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

mine does not lock up under WOT either...thats why im very confused as to why i had this problem...
i had the tranny flushed today and got more stuff out of it but the whole system is clean now and should get me home wednesday....
time to look at master rebuild kits i suppose...and get this yank sent to them so they can check it out...

Originally Posted by Dark Halo
this is a good idea with the TH button, I do not have a TH button anymore because I have a floor shifter now. To my understanding though my tune is set for no lock up under full throtle.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate tranny problems so I hope the best for you, I am having my on share with my 80. I am hoping a rebuild is not needed but I will find out this weekend
Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Happened to me too.
did you have to rebuild your tranny when it happened to you or did you just change out the tc and clean the system out...
Old 05-22-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

this will be my 2nd 4l80e build the first was when my p.i multi disc lock up clutches got stuck together and burnt it up now its fully built and about 60 when the converter locks I get a pretty bad shutter damn these converters.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bud8fan
did you have to rebuild your tranny when it happened to you or did you just change out the tc and clean the system out...
My tranny guy is a friend of mine , he tore it apart to check it out and it was perfect. I did have him come and get it with his rollback when it happened so no damage done. What happens is when the truck sits for awhile the material would drop down from the filter until you start it and drive again then it would plug the filter then no go. He did say if I would have kept trying it it eventually would burn it up.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

What happens is when the truck sits for awhile the material would drop down from the filter until you start it and drive again then it would plug the filter then no go.
this is exactly what mine was doing...

Quick Reply: 80e failure list