Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

6L80/6L90 Bolt in kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:29 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is that truck with the 6l80 doing? Did you figure out the VIN issue with 4x4/awd etc?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with my 6L80

You guys seem knowlegeable so i figured i would post this in this thread.

I have a 6L80 out of a 2010 camaro. I'm putting it into an 81swb. My problem is the trans has a hard triangular flange coming out of the rear instead of a yoke-style tail housing. I'm looking for a tail housing which I assume any late model 2wd GM truck has with a yoke. Problem is, the guy behind the counter at my dealership says they dont sell just that tailhousing.

I bought the two-piece drive shaft with carrier bearing from the donor vehicle that I can adapt as a worst-case scenario. I really don't want to go that though. It has the slip-yoke in the center but it doesn't travel a whole lot since the camaro has rear independent suspension so the pumpkin is stationary. I think i'll run into problems with the 81 rear end traveling.

any ideas on how to convert this tailhousing????

this is a major problem to my current frame-off resto-mod...

thanks

Justin
Old 12-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Exclamation

It has been that long hasn't it.

I'm sorry for the setback guys.

Long story, short...the journey to get this thing working was 'obstacled' and sabotaged by several ****hole local dealers, fraudulent repairs, warranty promise, claims, charges, diagnosis and work. If that wasn't bad enough a last minute Thanksgiving holiday week decision to tow it out to a very, very cold Midwest attempting to do some very unorthodox programming failed to give a successful result I expected. Further, several customers experiencing some poor quality parts due to some of our sub contractors shoddy work and last minute price changes required even more of my attention, investigations, and clean up work.

With that all said, I am happy to report that on this matter and project...WE ARE A GO!!!

Boohooing over... It's finally done. Starting, driving, no check engine lights, no codes, instrument cluster PRNDL functionality. It's everything I had hoped for and more. There still is some minor tuning to do as I just recalled that I have an Escalade 6.2L torque converter and tune on a Trailblazer 5.3L, but oh man is shifting ever so SWEET. This thing definitely will give my SS a run for it's money. 1200 RPMS at 40mph, partial throttle instant one gear kickdown, rev matching up and downshifts, and none of that big rpm drop off between ratios. I'll be driving the wheels off of it this weekend and coming week to lock down some fuel economy numbers.

I hope to get video up this weekend, but, again, I'm dealing with some significant clean up work to bring in 2011 right.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TrueBlueGTO
It has been that long hasn't it.

I'm sorry for the setback guys.

Long story, short...the journey to get this thing working was 'obstacled' and sabotaged by several ****hole local dealers, fraudulent repairs, warranty promise, claims, charges, diagnosis and work. If that wasn't bad enough a last minute Thanksgiving holiday week decision to tow it out to a very, very cold Midwest attempting to do some very unorthodox programming failed to give a successful result I expected. Further, several customers experiencing some poor quality parts due to some of our sub contractors shoddy work and last minute price changes required even more of my attention, investigations, and clean up work.

With that all said, I am happy to report that on this matter and project...WE ARE A GO!!!

Boohooing over... It's finally done. Starting, driving, no check engine lights, no codes, instrument cluster PRNDL functionality. It's everything I had hoped for and more. There still is some minor tuning to do as I just recalled that I have an Escalade 6.2L torque converter and tune on a Trailblazer 5.3L, but oh man is shifting ever so SWEET. This thing definitely will give my SS a run for it's money. 1200 RPMS at 40mph, partial throttle instant one gear kickdown, rev matching up and downshifts, and none of that big rpm drop off between ratios. I'll be driving the wheels off of it this weekend and coming week to lock down some fuel economy numbers.

I hope to get video up this weekend, but, again, I'm dealing with some significant clean up work to bring in 2011 right.
Awesome!!!....Goodwork...
Old 12-11-2010, 09:03 AM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gonna go start smashing my piggy banks in the mean time
Old 12-11-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Time to start saving, but the 6L80 is worth it. Ballpark price?
Old 12-11-2010, 10:35 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so lets clear a few things up since I do not want to read through the bullshit.

You have a conversion for a 6L80/90 for a 1999-2007 classic truck? If so, where do I sign up, I have cash in hand ready to spend.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Launching!

A solution for the E67 trucks (Trailblazers/Envoy) is resolved through our project. A solution for 24x/2x PCM vehicles is designed....BUT it requires a custom interface so that you can have easy plug and play connectivity. Unless you want hack up your wiring harness. This will not be available until Summer 2011.

It isn't all rainbows and sunshine, I am sad to report. I've discovered a major issue with doing a 6Lxx transmission. Internal maximum velocity. There is a drum cage that cannot exceed a certain RPM. Once it does, the centrifugal forces cause it to have a structural failure. Hence the strict RPM limit on GM motors running this trans and the higher (lower numerical) final drive ratio of the axles..Look at a CTS-V's final drive ratio. Long story short, SS's and Aero's with our 4.10 gears will have a non-negotiable top speed of 119 mph. 3.73's will give 134. Until someone comes up with a material/design to address this, this is now the official biggest limitation to the overall benefit of this trans in our trucks.

As I've stated in responses to a inquiries through the website, this is NOT an option for someone already making big power. It is simply not a cost effective or yet-proven option for a 600+HP 4500+ lb truck. If you're already making that power, the 4L80 is the only currently reliable option to live behind those conditions. The transmission was designed to, through additional gear multiplication, make small power motors move vehicles as quickly as big power motors. It is the ideal mod for stock or mildly modified motors seeing regular daily driving, road course racing, and/or off-road vehicles.

Hopefully, the aftermarket will address this very issue soon as we now have a universal LSX motor solution. In conjunction with EFIConnections SBC/BBC kit, basically ANY V8 and V6 can run this transmission...its just a matter of making a custom bellhousing and/or transfer case adapter.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Launching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RvDPcRpvdE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MDSqJM8jyo
-TBMSport.com's '07 Trailblazer 5.3L w/6L80E Transmission from '07 6.2L Escalade
-5.3L LH6 GenIV motor with 3.42 gears,20" wheels 275/45R20
-109k miles former rental truck, resonator delete, otherwise-bone stock down to stock engine tune,
-3/4 throttle acceleration
(Left blinking light on instrument panel is traction control which always activates during acceleration from standstill due to crazy wheelspin. I deactivated it after it rolls and gains traction. Right side solid light is TPMS due to custom wheels.)
-and yes, Cruise Control works!

Still have some tuning to do for lock up of converter, adjust AFM/DoD kick in, and a give it an overall tune up. It's a little resistant to downshift b/c of the stock tune.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only one i know that has the 99-07 classic down is Speartech.

once again TrueBlueGTO, thanks for the help with the my problem lemme know if you need anything ill help if i can.

Quick Reply: 6L80/6L90 Bolt in kit