Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

6L80/6L90 Bolt in kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 6L80/6L90 Bolt in kit

Hey guys,

As I plan to wrap up the first 6L80e converion on a GMT360 Trailblazer next week, I figured...hmmm...maybe the GMT800 guys would be interested in a bolt in kit that allows them to keep their cruise control also.

I know Speartech has a wire harness and ECM system for the platform, but I'm talking a total bolt in kit and you can keep your cruise control complete with new harness/ECM.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm listening.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me Too!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

I can't believe no company has created a full kit yet. I know there are issues with the CAN BUS electronics and separate PCM/TCM, but if it's just integration issues then harness mods and programming should fix it.

4WD/AWD 6L80s go for $1200 or less around here all day long. It'd be great to swap out the '60E for one.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very interesting...

Just wondering guys but, how much power can a 6L80E hold? I know the 6L80E is actually shorter than a 4L60E & the 6L90E is 35mm longer than the 6L80E due to the thicker gears and since most of the bulk of the trans is below the mainshaft centerline there shouldn't be any problem with fitment. If there could be a full kit for either of these transmissions that would solve the ECM/Wiring Harness issues then I could only imagine the possibilities....

....and I'd be running to the bank for a personal loan!

Last edited by Sierra1320; 05-13-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Sorry for delay...crazy, but good two days. Basically, this is a bit of market research as I investigate which is the next vehicle and forum we become a sponsor of....provided we are fully successful next week.

I'm not sure what all comes and doesn't come with the present kits on the market, but I believe we have cracked the code on how to get make late model GM vehicle (technically ANY vehicle) run with the 6L80E/6L90E computer system.

This project would have been done already had we not had the difficult issue of having to make a custom transmission to transfer case adapter and transfer case input shaft. Fortunately for you guys, I believe that these components are already available from GM, severely reducing projected costs and lead times.

The following are among the "stickies" that we are addressing/have addressed and plan to made available in the total package and/or a la carte.

Utility Features:
-Use of factory cruise control
-Variable Valve Timing
-Tap up/down shifting
-ECM managed boost control.

Conversion Hardware:
-24X LS-motor retro fit kit WITHOUT having to pull the motor/crank (SBC/BBC systems to follow)
-Fully inclusive wiring harness
-All hardware to retro fit RWD or 4WD trucks
-Shift linkage relocation to keep Neutral Safety Switch/Reverse Lighting features

Because the initial design approach was to make this universally applicable, we are now considering expanding the market to the GMT800 and/or C5/C4 Corvettes.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

TrueBlue, I don't need a transfer case adapter since I'm 2wd.
I still wanna hear what is around the corner tho.

Any timeframe or cost info?

I hope to keep an eye on this thread as updates occur & as long as I don't forget about it too.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

TrueBlue, I don't need an adapter either since I'm 2WD.

If you do decide to start manufacturing these kits then I would have to say I would be in line to purchase one once the aftermarket starts to get up to speed with producing high quality performance parts for these transmissions which is only a matter of time & patience. I would have to say I would be interested in running the beefier 6L90E trans though.

I wish you the best of luck bud & please keep us updated!
Old 05-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I can't tell you a cost as these have all be prototype costs on parts. Nor can I tell you exactly how soon before available for RWD's.

Just as PURELY a rough gauge, for the TBSS AWD/4WD we're speculating an approximate $6000 (+/- $500) for the entire thing including labor. Some return could come from selling the 4L70 trans. About $1000 was allocated to labor costs, so there is a savings if you do it yourself. Off hand I believe an easy $2k of this is in the necessary 4WD/AWD specific upgrade components. However, the 24X conversion system will probably put those amounts right back in.

With that said, should we prove successful in the next couple of weeks, it is my goal to have a basic 24x retrofit kit available by the end of summer. Basically the only thing that will be necessary for the customer to get on his/her own is the 6L transmission, appropriate RWD tailhouse adapter (or we can source one and put it all together in a package including a built trans), driveshaft length and appropriate yoke. With the various wheelbases and suspension heights out there, the latter two are best done by the owner or installation shop.

Last edited by TrueBlueGTO; 05-14-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Launching!

While youre at it, can you compile a list of parts required to retrofit a 6L80 into a gmt900 which has a stock 60e? I have a new 6L80 laying around, and I really want to put this thing in my truck, but no one knows anything about it

Quick Reply: 6L80/6L90 Bolt in kit