Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

5"/7" Drop 2008 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5"/7" Drop 2008 Silverado

This is my first time to lower anything so i have some questions that are probably pretty easy to answer. I have a 2008 silverado and i wanna do a 5 7 drop on 24's. I have about 800 dollars to spend on a kit so i just wanna know if i need to notch it and what would be a good kit for me to run. Also what tires do i need to run to minimize rubbing as much as possible. I have 305/35/24 tires now which im guessing are way too big. Any help and advice would be really helpful. Thanks alot.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well the 5/7 too me on those are ideal height, IMO. I'd go with DJM suspension, good quality and looks pretty cool with the finish they use. it might be a little more than your looking to spend, but how i look at it is i'd rather spend the extra money and no i have quality parts. As far as the 24's go yes they are definitely gonna be to wide for up front and out back you might be able to squeeze them in there, im looking to get a 305 out back on my '02 so idk how much is different on the 08's. hopefully you got some what of what you were looking for?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

youre going to want a notch. the only reason i dont have a notch is because i went with helper bags. it doesnt hit as much but its still annoying when it does.
flip kit will get you 7"
4" djm arms and belltech drop struts set to 1" will get you 5" up front. and if you think it rubs too much up front you can always adjust the drop amount on the struts. you can get up to a 2'' drop or lift it 2" from the struts. pm norcal ss he can hook you up.
as for the 24s i have no idea the biggest ive ran is 20s. but those 305 seem too wide and you might have some rubbing issues depending on the width and offset of your 24s
Old 09-12-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1
Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by TimDave217
well the 5/7 too me on those are ideal height, IMO. I'd go with DJM suspension, good quality and looks pretty cool with the finish they use. it might be a little more than your looking to spend, but how i look at it is i'd rather spend the extra money and no i have quality parts. As far as the 24's go yes they are definitely gonna be to wide for up front and out back you might be able to squeeze them in there, im looking to get a 305 out back on my '02 so idk how much is different on the 08's. hopefully you got some what of what you were looking for?
Yeah that's what i figured. Ill probably try to get them to fit and if they don't ill run the stock 20's till i get new tires. I looked on stylintrucks.com for some drops but none are specifically "5/7" drops. Im sorry but im a noob when it comes to this. Also one of my friends said i might have to cut the bed? I really dont wanna do that. Its a new truck and i dont wanna hack away at everything. Im ok with the notch cause ill have this truck till it blows up on me but i dont wanna destroy the trucks integrity.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by javzh
youre going to want a notch. the only reason i dont have a notch is because i went with helper bags. it doesnt hit as much but its still annoying when it does.
flip kit will get you 7"
4" djm arms and belltech drop struts set to 1" will get you 5" up front. and if you think it rubs too much up front you can always adjust the drop amount on the struts. you can get up to a 2'' drop or lift it 2" from the struts. pm norcal ss he can hook you up.
as for the 24s i have no idea the biggest ive ran is 20s. but those 305 seem too wide and you might have some rubbing issues depending on the width and offset of your 24s
I have no idea what any of that means.. Im sorry :/ Like i said im a noob... I understood the part about the tires but im not sure what the rest means.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

you dont have to cut the bed. i dont know why he would say that. ive only heard of some trimming needed for the rail on top of the differential case when doing a 8", 9" or more rear drop. im at 7'' and didnt cut anything from the bed, i dont even have a notch. youre going to need new rear shocks for the 7" drop as well. i bought most of my kit from norcal ss, he sells belltech and djm lowering parts. im sure you can get everything you need for under 800.

are you going to be installing the lowering kit yourself?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by javzh
you dont have to cut the bed. i dont know why he would say that. ive only heard of some trimming needed for the rail on top of the differential case when doing a 8", 9" or more rear drop. im at 7'' and didnt cut anything from the bed, i dont even have a notch. youre going to need new rear shocks for the 7" drop as well. i bought most of my kit from norcal ss, he sells belltech and djm lowering parts. im sure you can get everything you need for under 800.

are you going to be installing the lowering kit yourself?
No a guy i know works at a shop that installs them. He quoted me at 750 for a belltech 5/7 kit. it comes with shocks and all that jazz. But with labor idk how much its gonna be. I would like to do it myself but i don't know much about suspension. I just wanna make sure im doing everything correctly before i do it.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:40 PM

Well its a 4/7 drop but he said he can make it a 5/7
Old 09-12-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

you might want to ask what are the components for the front drop.
its a combination drop arms, spindles, springs, or drop struts. of course all dependent on how low you want to go. and i dont think its recommended you use drop springs with drop struts since you may get some camber issues. but i think the belltech kits come with some camber adjustments. youre going to have to double check. thats not a bad price for the kit but i would check with the person i told you to see if he can save you a couple bucks.
the install isnt that difficult. i did mine and it was the first drop kit i had ever installed. just took my sweet time.

Quick Reply: 5"/7" Drop 2008 Silverado