Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e vs 4x4 4wd 4l80e. whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Does this mean its almost back together???
Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha no I took a break for a while because my back has been to effed up to sit while I work on the trans. I finally got the cup out at about 3:00 today and then proceeded with the build only to find that the company I got the parts from gave me the wrong thrust washers. I did pick up another 2005 4l80e last night though

The trans should be done by Sunday if I can make it to the trans store and if my back doesn't give me ****. but it won't go in till I get my Circle D. Man I can't wait for surgery.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris092183
How would you remove the orifice cup?

Thanks Vince
Its not easy as you already know. I have tried a few different methods. (1)Installing a screw in the plug with a small hole and use a dent puller. (2)Drilled a hole and tapped it with a small bolt size. Then used a socket larger than the plug with a long bolt to pull it out. (3)Small bushing cutter to cut it out so it would turn and I could pry it out. The first two methods in some cases result into method #3.

I will say if you get into the case some with trying to cut it out you should still be ok. The 2wd cup plug has a small flange on it and should seal to the back side of the case. The inside bore is not really critical at this point. Then when you install the extension housing it really has no where to go. Keep in mind this is an orifice to regulate how much oil feeds the bushing in the extension housing.

Originally Posted by chris092183
Regarding the lube cup orifice, I suggest you don't try to remove the cup from a 4x4 unit. It is a major PITA. I have been trying to get that little bastard out for about 3 hours without damaging the case. My suggestion is to just drill a hole if you are going to convert a 4x4/4wd unit to a 2wd. I will post pics later. I just wanted to address this for anyone trying to do this mod didn't have tha same hassle as my self.

The 4x4/4wd unit has a steel (i think) cup which is different from the 2wd/2x4 lube cup orifice. the 2wdis made of a way softer material which canbe removed easily, so guys converting from 2wd to 4wd will have a way easier time.

Builders let me know what you think.
Keep in mind that the 2wd orificed cup plug also has a seal bonded to it. This is used to seal the case to the extension housing. I would not recommend just drilling a hole in the freeze plug because I think you might loose some oil pressure at the extension housing bushing.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vince B
Its not easy as you already know. I have tried a few different methods. (1)Installing a screw in the plug with a small hole and use a dent puller. (2)Drilled a hole and tapped it with a small bolt size. Then used a socket larger than the plug with a long bolt to pull it out. (3)Small bushing cutter to cut it out so it would turn and I could pry it out. The first two methods in some cases result into method #3.

I will say if you get into the case some with trying to cut it out you should still be ok. The 2wd cup plug has a small flange on it and should seal to the back side of the case. The inside bore is not really critical at this point. Then when you install the extension housing it really has no where to go. Keep in mind this is an orifice to regulate how much oil feeds the bushing in the extension housing.

Keep in mind that the 2wd orificed cup plug also has a seal bonded to it. This is used to seal the case to the extension housing. I would not recommend just drilling a hole in the freeze plug because I think you might loose some oil pressure at the extension housing bushing.
Lol I tried the methods 1 and 2 but no luck. the screws/bolts kept breaking. I finally got it out with something similar to option 3. I cut a chisel in half as well as grinding a screwdriver down and used those to cut away at it. it was a major pita. I was worried I'd damage the case.

In regards to the drilling a small hole, I guess I left some info out. I was thinking of just placing an o-ring around the cup plug because I didn't think too much pressure would seep through the bushing being that the fluid passage is so small. I guess it's better safe than sorry though, a bonded cup will not leak whereas my initial idea might propose a problem.

After this I no I will never buy another 4x4 to convert to 2wd lol

Thanks Vince. Too bad you're all the way in the mid west, I'd like to learn some tricks on how to build these trans.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vince B

I will edit/delete that post in case someone tries to do it this way. In the case that it doesn't work for someone, I would hate for it to be because of a method not tried and true.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:14 AM

Default Mr Vince: This is sort of on and off this topic I guess LOL!

I have a good 1993 4L80E two wheel drive out of 3500 Vandura. I also have a 96 Chevy1500 with a 4 L 60 e four-wheel drive. The 4 L 60 e the guy who owned this truck before me told me it needed a torque converter seal. I live in North Eastern Arizona so basically my entire surroundings is nothing but beach with no ocean. So I prefer to do a job like this with my rolling Gantry and just lift the motor up and forward rather than pulling the tranny and t-case. So I did on my top side and then got underneath to pull the torque converter bolts Bill bolts and dust cover and I basically found that this transmission leaks pretty much everywhere in the world except for the torque converter seal on the front of the transmission that is anyway. So my question is a little bit the opposite of the question of this thread. Can I put the 4 by 4 tail shaft on my 4 L 80 e two wheel drive and then marry my transfer case to it? All input would be appreciated!