Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e rebuild for 2002 Yukon Swap, SLOWWWWW BUILD....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
Prybar
Tried that by the starter. Any other good places to pry?
Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Or grab the tailhousing and lift up and down and left and right really hard until it cracks that seal. Sounds like you tried that already though... it's way easier on a lift when you're standing. You could also try taking a plastic mallet, thread in a tc bolt a few threads and smacking that with with the mallet, turn motor over and repeat for all. But I think the tailshaft method is best. Maybe put a jack under it and raise it up some. You just gotta get aggressive with it.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shook the **** out of it.

Would heat on the housing help where dowels are? Water hose prepped and ready of course.

Strap and ratchet around rear axel to tail of trans to pull?

My arms are sore. Fuuuuuuuck! Anyone live in Northern VA with big muscles and smarts? I'll pay for gas, food, beer and you can crash in our spare room. I'm married and not rapey.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heat directly on the dowel face absolutely can't hurt. I'm sure most will agree, and I can't tell you how many times I soaked something for a day or longer, cussed my mind out, only to have heat break it free nearly immediately.

Did you try jacking up the tailhousing until the top of the trans touches the trans tunnel? Sometimes changing the angle of things can be the magic ticket.

All in all sounds like an east coast problem.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
Heat directly on the dowel face absolutely can't hurt. I'm sure most will agree, and I can't tell you how many times I soaked something for a day or longer, cussed my mind out, only to have heat break it free nearly immediately.

Did you try jacking up the tailhousing until the top of the trans touches the trans tunnel? Sometimes changing the angle of things can be the magic ticket.

All in all sounds like an east coast problem.
Good to know about heat. Yes, east coast salt baby. I'm coating the pins with anti seize on reinstall. I coat most things with that or a ton of grease.

I'll need to adjust some things then try cranking the trans up to the tunnel. Good idea on trying different angles. I'm busy till late tomorrow but will soak the 2 dowels again. Then heat Wednesday and try again.

There's only 2 dowels right?
Old 11-16-2015, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tgui
Good to know about heat. Yes, east coast salt baby. I'm coating the pins with anti seize on reinstall. I coat most things with that or a ton of grease.

I'll need to adjust some things then try cranking the trans up to the tunnel. Good idea on trying different angles. I'm busy till late tomorrow but will soak the 2 dowels again. Then heat Wednesday and try again.

There's only 2 dowels right?
Yes only two dowels. Soaking likely won't do much. If you can get the torch up there and heat the dowels first, then jack up the tailhousing and once there's some pressure try swaying it side to side. If you can get that top bellhousing bolt off you can certainly get the trans loose... I've only done 1 4L80e swap in my life, and two 4L60e swaps (previous trucks), so I'm certainly no expert, but are you 110% sure all the converter bolts are out? So the crossmember is completely out of the truck, you have a thin piece of wood or rubber between the oil pan and the frame, the trans is literally hanging on the dowels (I assume it's also strapped to your trans jack) and you're on your back shaking it with all your might and there's no movement? It might be BFH time. Also if the trans jack is still strapped to the trans, you can thread 1 bolt in a few twists, then unstrap the trans jack, and then vigorously shake the trans and that way it won't completely come off the dowels.

Last edited by lxcoupe; 11-16-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

How many bellhousing bolts do you have total... In your hand???
Old 11-16-2015, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
How many bellhousing bolts do you have total... In your hand???
Two from the bottom.

Three holes free on each side, so four there as 2 are dowels.

One from very top.

Two on either side of very top bolt.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

One of the holes in bellhousing doesnt have a hole in block.... Try rocking the trans up and down and side to side.... Take weight off the jack and let it kinda hover about the trabs jack while you do it
Old 11-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
One of the holes in bellhousing doesnt have a hole in block.... Try rocking the trans up and down and side to side.... Take weight off the jack and let it kinda hover about the trabs jack while you do it
All I'm saying is that you live in VA and he lives in VA. Why are you not helping him pull an all nighter? Jus sayin, you can drive all across VA in like 4 hrs.

Quick Reply: 4l80e rebuild for 2002 Yukon Swap, SLOWWWWW BUILD....