Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

3000 stall with stock cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3000 stall with stock cam?

Im getting a built trans put in in a couple weeks and have the opportunity to buy a tcs 3000 from a friend of mine. my major concern is driveability with a 3000 stall and stock cam. I dont want to get it all put in and end up hating the way it drives. its going in my 04 SSS LQ9 6.0. any help or info and how it will drive around town would be awesome!

Zach
Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out my thread on Sss.com i just got a bunch of q's answered.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

It will be plenty streetable. I'm not sure how loose that brand is, but the Yank TT series if someone else got in your truck to drive it and never got on it they might never know it is there. You will notice that if you are waiting on a small incline and let your foot off the gas it kind of feels like depressing the clutch to the floor on a standard transmission.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

I ran a Yank SS3600 with a stock cam for a long time and loved it. It dropped nearly a full second off my 1/4 ET and wasn't bad driving around at all, just took some getting used to.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StrokerAce03
I ran a Yank SS3600 with a stock cam for a long time and loved it. It dropped nearly a full second off my 1/4 ET and wasn't bad driving around at all, just took some getting used to.
What does your truck run?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the stock cam with mine and i love it, runs much stronger. However it will be even better once the stock cam is replaced
Old 06-10-2010, 10:58 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoveyBayou
It will be plenty streetable. I'm not sure how loose that brand is, but the Yank TT series if someone else got in your truck to drive it and never got on it they might never know it is there. You will notice that if you are waiting on a small incline and let your foot off the gas it kind of feels like depressing the clutch to the floor on a standard transmission.
+1, definitely a worthwhile mod...I'm not familiar with TCS though (have heard of TCI which does not get positive reviews). Personally, I'd get either a Circle-D or Yank due to their good reputations and reliability. A torque converter is not something to skimp on as a broken torque converter will usually equal a broken transmission also...
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get the circle d reworked TB stall, you will love it.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

from all the guys i know who are running a tcs converter they all love them and have no problems. this particular converter is normally a 6-700 converter and was personally recommended by the guy who built the trans, i trust his work and his recommendations. it is a 9.5" billet converter, not sure of any of the internal specs but like i said i trust his word that its a good converter. and im getting it at a steal of a price!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:07 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zachm89
from all the guys i know who are running a tcs converter they all love them and have no problems. this particular converter is normally a 6-700 converter and was personally recommended by the guy who built the trans, i trust his work and his recommendations. it is a 9.5" billet converter, not sure of any of the internal specs but like i said i trust his word that its a good converter. and im getting it at a steal of a price!
Well that's good to hear, if the trans builder has a good rep and has good luck with them then good luck to you Billet sounds good, but be aware that you'll definitely want a big cooler with a 9.5" converter as it will generate more heat, and it will probably be looser than the larger 10.5" offerings out there, meaning that you'll need more throttle to get moving and normal driving will have different characteristics and be more tricky than say a TrailBlazer style converter or even a 258mm converter. So far I've only driven my 258mm Circle-D under normal conditions as I'm still ironing out a few other issues before I can really drive it and break it in, and I can definitely tell that it's in there. I've owned and driven many high stall torque converters through the years so I'm used to how they react so it's not like I was in for a surprise when I installed it. I'm very happy with the street manners of the 258 Circle-D, but it's definitely looser than a YankTT, but absolutely tighter than the 9.5's that I've driven.

Quick Reply: 3000 stall with stock cam?