Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

2wd or 4wd for dd rcsb street/drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd or 4wd for dd rcsb street/drag racing

I am looking to get a rcsb 99-02 and wasnt to sure what to go with. What is the best for a dd turbocharged truck that will see a good amount of 1/8 mile drag racing.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

i would imagine getting the 4x4 with the turbo so that you can hook up better but id probably go with 2wd
Old 10-24-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Best is always a matter of opinion but I love my AWD for dd duties. I don't have to press any switches or shift any levers if I feel like racing, just depress the loud pedal. I had the Autotrac case before and it was ok but to race I had to put it in 4X4 not the Auto option because that would allow some slippage before engaging and the truck would jerk around. Of course very sticky rear tires solves the traction issue on dry pavement.
I can walk away from my Vette from a stop, of course that doesn't last long
Old 10-24-2007, 06:43 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is better? I'd say if you strengthen you're whole drive train and rear end, run slicks and dead hook a 2wd will be better.

What's nice about 4wd is that it can be engaged at the stop light and with street tires you can leave about anything else standing.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think for street racing, AWD/4x4 cannot be beat on street tires. for track use only(racing) id say go with a 2wd for less weight and better times on slicks
Old 10-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. Ill probably go with the 4x4 like on my dmax(1.7-1.8s). Thanks for the help.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I like them both, But there is nothing like a boost launch in 4wd. Plus I live where we get snow so its nice to have the 4wd in the winter.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:05 PM
5 year bitches!

Originally Posted by nightrunner
i think for street racing, AWD/4x4 cannot be beat on street tires. for track use only(racing) id say go with a 2wd for less weight and better times on slicks
this can go on and on back and fourth.....a properly setup rwd car can pull wheels on the street. hook better on the street then AWD.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quik
this can go on and on back and fourth.....a properly setup rwd car can pull wheels on the street. hook better on the street then AWD.
While I don't disagree that this is possible, and better due to the lighter weight and less complexity, you would have to have some pretty sticky tires to have traction better than AWD on the street. Tires that sticky don't usually last very long.
My AWD truck will leave my Vette (on street tires) through the top of first gear and it weighs 1400 lbs more.

The originator of the post said he wanted to have a drag racer and a daily driver that is why I think AWD/4x4 is a slightly better choice.
Of course everyone ultimately has to choose for themselves.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Mr. Obvious

Originally Posted by Quik
i highly doubt that on street-legal tires, drag radials or reg. street radials) WITHOUT a burnout. just as if you were taking off from a stoplight

besides, we arent talking about rwd cars, we are talking about very poorly balanced (weight-wise) trucks, i have yet to see a truck pull the front tires on the street, in person or on vid

Quick Reply: 2wd or 4wd for dd rcsb street/drag racing