FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Stock fuel pump pulling air...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stock fuel pump pulling air...

truck is 2002 rcsb silverado 4.8 with return style system all stock during normal driving.
i was driving down the highway fine, no issues, stopped for something at a gas station and the truck wouldnt start back up.
I have a surge tank that is fed by the return line so i pulled the lid for a look and there was a lot of bubbles coming out of the return, like the pump wasnt fully submerged or there was a split line somewhere letting air in. the truck had a bit over half a tank of gas. I have no reason to believe the fuel gauge is wrong. I am pretty observant with my cars and i would know if it wasnt at least mostly accurate.
I was able to force my surge tank pump on to move the truck and top off the tank. after that the truck started and ran fine and i put a few hundred miles on it but kept the tank full.
Tonight i pulled the module and everything 'looks' ok.

1) has anyone ever had this happen and figure out the cause?

2) what brand replacement module is reliable? I would prefer to keep the oem stuff but as long as its out i might as well make it so this doesnt happen again. I am really not liking all the modules needing the connector cut off and replaced. if i didnt have my goofy surge setup i would have been completely stranded.

Thanks

Last edited by TrendSetter; 07-30-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the return line is restrictive on all these trucks from the factory. Once you start modding, it becomes an issue real quick.. Second the fuel bucket in the stock tank for the earlier model gmt-800 body is WAY too small and can get low really quickly and suck air.

You also want to make sure the return line is submerged in the fuel, if not, it can potentially cause bubbles to form.

I noticed you stated the truck was all stock.. But then you have a surge tank setup. You might want to clarify. Before checking what I listed above, make sure the fuel pump is priming when it's not starting up. Your pump could be going out as a result from cavitation from the air you describe.

Last edited by chris99gmc; 01-15-2017 at 12:02 PM.