FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

NNBS returnless pump setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NNBS returnless pump setup

Hey, So on my friends 11' FF truck that we turbo'd we built a fuel system in one day with local parts which consisted of two pumps (capable of around 1K hp total) and a vette fuel pressure regulator style filter.

We used AN line with a Y inside the stock gutted bucket to a pass thru an bulkhead fitting running to the vette filter and a line from vette filter back into the stock bucket with another an pass thru. Then output of filter of course to stock rail

Truck on a 575rwhp pull started to run out of fuel.

Its looking like the vette filter is probably the issue with that much volume from the pumps so we are going to put a universal aftermarket regulator in place of the filter.

I will be needing to also do a fuel system on my 07 and looking around on the forum theres alot of ways I see you guys doing fuel setups and most are pretty expensive and complex.

Am I missing something or will the twin in take pumps with universal regulator not work? Seems far simpler than all the other ways ive seen on here.

Is that going to be an issue with the FPCM also? Hotwire kit is probably a good idea.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:42 AM
Teching In

Also suggestions on holes/no holes in stock bucket with a return line feeding the bucket. Is there chance of running bucket dry? we put 2 holes in his and not sure if that would benefit or hurt the situation.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the issue with these trucks is the FPCM, unfortunately. It seems like you need to keep the OEM fuel system intact 100% to keep the CEL off. THEN, do a 2nd intank pump that Y's in and it operated off of a hobbs switch or similar so it it activated when you get into boost.
I don't think a hot wire kit matters on these trucks because they are controlled by the FPCM; from what I understand anyway...
I think the fuel system is going to be the limiting factor for my Escalade once I get the cam and LSA blower on. If I pulley down and add meth, I am going to need to add a 2nd pump. **** sucks for sure.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:53 PM
Teching In

you cant disable the fpcm part in the tune to prevent codes?
Old 01-24-2016, 05:28 AM

i have a 2013 f 150 and just recently discovered the hassle of having (FPCM) fuel pump control module. it sits under the bed of truck right above spare tire and im not certified but from my understanding the PCM monitors engine performance and communicates with fpcm to determine how many volts should be pushed to actual fuel pump
Old 01-25-2016, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is how I did my walbro 450 in my return style setup. I gutted the whole bottom and cut two big openings at the front and the back at the bottom of the bucket. I also made a bracket so the pump sits at the very bottom of the tank. I haven't got it to 1/4 tank yet to see if that helps with the pickup issues I was having before. I also have the return line angled away from the bucket to prevent the pump from picking up air.
Attached Thumbnails NNBS returnless pump setup-img_2797.jpg   NNBS returnless pump setup-img_2798.jpg   NNBS returnless pump setup-img_2800.jpg   NNBS returnless pump setup-img_2802.jpg  
Old 01-27-2016, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Looks good but im looking more for returnless style setups which is the issue here.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TAPyvehc93
This is how I did my walbro 450 in my return style setup. I gutted the whole bottom and cut two big openings at the front and the back at the bottom of the bucket. I also made a bracket so the pump sits at the very bottom of the tank. I haven't got it to 1/4 tank yet to see if that helps with the pickup issues I was having before. I also have the return line angled away from the bucket to prevent the pump from picking up air.
Any report on the 1/4 tank and less level? If I had to guess looking at your bucket all cut up, when the fuel level is low in the tank and you accelerate hard, the pump would likely suck air. Have you tested driving it on low fuel levels?
Old 05-29-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adunphy
Any report on the 1/4 tank and less level? If I had to guess looking at your bucket all cut up, when the fuel level is low in the tank and you accelerate hard, the pump would likely suck air. Have you tested driving it on low fuel levels?
Its still an issue, just not near as bad as it was before. I just stay away from getting the fuel level real low as the truck is not my daily driver anymore.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are putting way too much into this.

Quick Reply: NNBS returnless pump setup