FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Factory fuel tank with sump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Factory fuel tank with sump?

Has anyone ever ran one of these? Ive been reading for weeks about fueling and found lots of boosted cars run this...
XDP Black Anodized Diesel Fuel Tank Sump Kit - No Tank Drop Install

I was thinking of doing this with a Bosch 044 inline pump.... I've read a lot of good things about these on many other forums.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have them on both my race cars. Not diesel but sumped. Anyways I think it is only needed when in tank pump no longer can support the power. So any large external pump I would sump.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Should work great im gonna be using the Hellmann fuel tank sump on my truck with a Magnafuel 750 fuel pump when I get my fuel system done.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
Should work great im gonna be using the Hellmann fuel tank sump on my truck with a Magnafuel 750 fuel pump when I get my fuel system done.
Did you get this tank sumped yet? Getting ready myself to do the same.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Someone had a similar post under another thread and I posted my experience so I will just cut and paste.

I sump'd my Escalade with a Hellmann sump feeding an external A1000. Waste of time and money.

First issue was if I ran the tank below 1/4 and came to a fast stop or moderate acceleration off the line the pump would cavitate.

Second issue and the one the really ticked me off was I couldn't drive the vehicle for more than an hour at a half of tank of fuel without vapor locking. That was even with using the voltage controller.

After sitting on the side of the road a couple of times waiting for the fuel to cool back down I yanked everything out and went with a dual in tank setup. No vapor lock issues but it will still lose pressure launching off the line with less than 1/4 tank.

With that said maybe a different pump that wasn't rated at 600 lb's/hr you could have better results with the vapor locking but with no baffling in the tank the potential for cavitation will always be there.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 03SuperSLADE
Someone had a similar post under another thread and I posted my experience so I will just cut and paste.

I sump'd my Escalade with a Hellmann sump feeding an external A1000. Waste of time and money.

First issue was if I ran the tank below 1/4 and came to a fast stop or moderate acceleration off the line the pump would cavitate.

Second issue and the one the really ticked me off was I couldn't drive the vehicle for more than an hour at a half of tank of fuel without vapor locking. That was even with using the voltage controller.

After sitting on the side of the road a couple of times waiting for the fuel to cool back down I yanked everything out and went with a dual in tank setup. No vapor lock issues but it will still lose pressure launching off the line with less than 1/4 tank.

With that said maybe a different pump that wasn't rated at 600 lb's/hr you could have better results with the vapor locking but with no baffling in the tank the potential for cavitation will always be there.
I don't mean to hi-jack a thread, but I am working on this right now.

This is the EXACT setup I was just getting ready to put on to my 03 silverado. I am really trying to stay away from a dual pump setup. My wife enjoys driving my truck also, so I have to keep it simple. I don't think she would notice the wideband gauge if a pump failed on her.

Were you getting vapor lock with the same size return line as the supply? I think I could use the fuel that the a1000 pump would put out when I am at full boost, but not just cruising around.

One other option I had considered was putting a fuel cell in where the spare tire would be. I think I could fit the aeromotive 20gal cell in there with a submerged a1000 pump. Then run a #8 supply and a #8 return. That should cure the vapor lock, having the pump cooled in the fuel tank. But this is a very expensive route.

Any other ideas? Or should I just quit being a little girl about it and put in the dual pumps? I would like to hear other ideas. I originally was going to go with dual denso pumps but I had changed my mind because of my wife.
-Justin
Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AkSSS
I don't mean to hi-jack a thread, but I am working on this right now.

This is the EXACT setup I was just getting ready to put on to my 03 silverado. I am really trying to stay away from a dual pump setup. My wife enjoys driving my truck also, so I have to keep it simple. I don't think she would notice the wideband gauge if a pump failed on her.

Were you getting vapor lock with the same size return line as the supply? I think I could use the fuel that the a1000 pump would put out when I am at full boost, but not just cruising around.

One other option I had considered was putting a fuel cell in where the spare tire would be. I think I could fit the aeromotive 20gal cell in there with a submerged a1000 pump. Then run a #8 supply and a #8 return. That should cure the vapor lock, having the pump cooled in the fuel tank. But this is a very expensive route.

Any other ideas? Or should I just quit being a little girl about it and put in the dual pumps? I would like to hear other ideas. I originally was going to go with dual denso pumps but I had changed my mind because of my wife.
-Justin

I was running 10an into the Y and 8an feeding the rails with a 8an return.

Running in tank should certainly help. IMO the a1000 is pumping way to much fuel for a daily driver, figure if the tank was full it would be circulating the entire tank every 12 minutes or so.

I was running the voltage controller to go to full speed at 2500 rpm, maybe if I set it to a higher rpm it would have made a difference. After vapor locking a few times I wouldn't drive it past a 1/2 tank of fuel and had no confidence to drive for anything more than 30 minutes.

Once I put in the double pumper I have no concerns other than not getting on it below a 1/4 tank.

If you go with the sump I would stay away from the Hellmann sump, the retainer ring is one piece and does fit through the open, had to cut it in half to make it work. The one listed in this thread is horseshoe and I have seen a different one that is a two piece.

Good luck on which ever way you go.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 03SuperSLADE
Good luck on which ever way you go.
Thanks! I have my pickup up on jackstands for the rest of the winter here now. So I guess I have some time to figure out what I am going to do with it. Thanks for the input. You have changed my mind from doing what I was going to do. I just wish more people had/have tried a single external pump setup. Like you said, I will probably end up with dual pumps and wire in a red led that will light up when the fuel pressure drops below a certain psi.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a Hallman sump in my stock tank, and after a little more thought, I didnt need it. I could have just put bulkhead fittings on the lower rear of the tank and done the exact same thing.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by carbongmc
I used a Hallman sump in my stock tank, and after a little more thought, I didnt need it. I could have just put bulkhead fittings on the lower rear of the tank and done the exact same thing.
I had considered doing that, but don't you think that with out baffles it would get to much slosh and dry suck the pump? That was the reason I wanted the sump, even when the fuel sloshes, there is some left in the sump.

Quick Reply: Factory fuel tank with sump?