FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Belt driven fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt driven fuel pumps

So guys , educate me on this please ! I've been reading thread after thread on fuel pump set ups using dual wahlboro pumps ,return lines ,and so on . Would it be just as easy or even easier to run a belt driven fp ? I understand they run return lines and big regulators too but idk ....they sound like they'd get it done nicely . Tell me the pros and cons . Thanks
Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Con: the guy at Aeromotive told me that I was going to boil the fuel on a street vehicle because it runs all of the time, as opposed to extra electric pumps that can be turned on as needed, with a Hobbs switch or other ways.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Con: the guy at Aeromotive told me that I was going to boil the fuel on a street vehicle because it runs all of the time, as opposed to extra electric pumps that can be turned on as needed, with a Hobbs switch or other ways.
Put a fuel cooler on it?

Curious on this topic myself, as multiple fuel pumps become necessary and cumbersome with E85. Two walbro 450s running simultaneously pulls a huge amount of current, could only imagine 3.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:54 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Walbro450s at 80psi pull something like 25amp each, thats pretty impressive. If I needed more than 2 walbro450s I would do a mechanical pump. Very much doubt you would boil the fuel. Electric pumps run all the time as well.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:30 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

There are some smaller belt driven pumps out there, so even if you're not trying to build a 5000 hp daily driver, you can find something to work.

The biggest complaint with multiple electric pumps is that if one or two fails, the motor will/can burn up. With one pump (whether it is electric/mechanical), if it goes bad the engine just stops running.

I had twin Magnafuel 4303's on my last set up. Ran both all the time, but it's not a street truck. Never had delivery issues once I put the right regulator on it.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's not that I want go crazy with the hp but I'm just trying to figure out my options if or when the flex fuel pump is topped out . The way I understand mid to upper 500 hp range is about the limit. Keep in mind I've done nothing to my truck yet so I'm just putting together some plans . And putting money back !lol. I was gonna start buying parts but I figure if anything ever happened to the truck ....god forbid.. I'd have a bunch of parts to sell or store .

Yeah, I like the idea of one pump if it's possible. Not only that , if I could set it up not to have to worry about keeping the tank 1/4 full or more would be nice . But I'm sure if it was so easy someone would have done it already .. right ? Lol .

Last edited by Furflyinjim; 07-04-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

there's no good reason to do a belt pump with that low of hp
Old 07-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Furflyinjim
Yeah, I like the idea of one pump if it's possible. Not only that , if I could set it up not to have to worry about keeping the tank 1/4 full or more would be nice . But I'm sure if it was so easy someone would have done it already .. right ? Lol .
If yiu do it right you dont have to keep a 1/4 tank. I have dual pumps and i run my gas down until the low fuel level light comes on. It has been setup this way for 6+ years and i have never had a problem. People that hack up the fuel buckets have issues.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
If yiu do it right you dont have to keep a 1/4 tank. I have dual pumps and i run my gas down until the low fuel level light comes on. It has been setup this way for 6+ years and i have never had a problem. People that hack up the fuel buckets have issues.
More than likely your truck isn't fast enough to have problems.

Jarrett noted starvation issues on his with 3/4 tank.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
More than likely your truck isn't fast enough to have problems.

Jarrett noted starvation issues on his with 3/4 tank.
Probably but i can still run it down until the light comes on. You had problems because you hacked the crap out of the bucket and had to keep 3/4 of a tank of gas basically making the truck usable in my opinion but to each their own.