FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Another Walbro 450 install

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Walbro 450 install

Sorry for the long post.

OK, so in my endless quest to finish this 408 project, I have been convinced by Atomic and this whole forum that I need to upgrade the pump in my truck going with the 408 and Whipple @ 10psi. I already have 114lb/hr injectors, so it made logical sense.

So, I did things backwards again and ordered the harness from Racetronix that has the old 4-way connector thinking that is what I had on my truck. Well.... I pulled the tank today and have the new 280 series connector!
Not a huge deal, I just don't need the bulkhead connector I ordered and I will have to modify the harness to remove the old 150 series connector. This is not the main question of this thread, I just got off on a tangent.

The main question I had after searching a ton of posts for this information is how the 450 is support to fit in the bucket. I put it down inside the bucket and it seems very loose. I know most guys zip tie it, but it seems like it would pull the bottom of the pump up more and give me more of a risk of fuel starvation.

I have also heard about guys modifying the bucket in some way. Are they talking about cutting the bottom hole where the pump will sit closer to the bottom?

Can someone check out the pics below and let me know what you think?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know you guys have done this install before.

I am not sure what to do here. I just tried to test fit the sock that came with the Walbro and it is not going to fit because of the "U" shape on the bottom of the bucket. Do I have to hack up the bottom of the bucket?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Will
I know you guys have done this install before. I am not sure what to do here. I just tried to test fit the sock that came with the Walbro and it is not going to fit because of the "U" shape on the bottom of the bucket. Do I have to hack up the bottom of the bucket?
Yes. You have to cut the "U" down flush with the bottom of the bucket. That will let the pump sit down in the hole and you'll be able to push the sock onto the pump. I think I took some pics of this in my thread down in my sig.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

So, in the first picture, you are saying grind both of these flush?

Secondly, even if I do that, the sock won't be long enough to connect to the pump. See how it hits the curved part on the bottom of the bucket. How did you get around that?

Also, did you zip tie it to the side of the bucket?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes the first picture is correct.

Thats not the sock I used for my 450. Where did you get that sock from?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought the pump on ebay. The one for $130. It is stamped TI Automotive, which should be legit pump, but the install kit that came with it had that sock....

Great, I will need to get a different sock. Where can I get the sock for the 450 without paying $17 shipping through Racetronix?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not saying that one you have wont work. Does it push onto the pump correctly?

The sock I bought on ebay was part number 125-190.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

It does, but the plastic part of the sock won't let it because of where it hits the bucket. I just bought the one you posted from ebay. It wasn't that expensive and it doesn't have the plastic part that will hit the bucket.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you zip tie the pump to the side of the bucket also? I bought some stainless steel zip ties for this.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

No I don't think I did. The way I cut the bucket, and routed the gates hose, it was pretty secure so I didn't worry about it. Any little bit helps though

Quick Reply: Another Walbro 450 install