FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Whipple build..Pistons,8rib pulleys and 100mm idlers??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What sort of cost you think it's going to run for the 8rib conversion? I'm really wanting to go straight with the 8 rib and the HD tensioners before the engine even go back in the truck.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:16 PM
BMF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 2.3 Whipple on my car with an 8 rib.
Used an ATI OD balancer. Look on Ebay for one.

Bought 8 rib pulleys from IW for the PS pump and alternator.

Used a 10 rib on the blower as I got them for free.

Water pump pulley does not need changed.

Search my user name. I posted the exact part numbers for the tensioner and pulley that is a HD unit.

I still have the idlers that I used; if you're interested in purchasing them, PM me.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

I looked through some of your old posts is the is part number for the HD tensioner DAYCO 89393?? Also I am ordering the ATI 10% OD pulley, will all the IW 8 rib pulleys bolt directly onto to my 09 Sierra with the 2.3L whipple and what 8rib pulley were u using in the actual whipple? One more question, will a 102mm TB bolt onto the whipple without opening the snout?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:32 PM
BMF

102mm tb will bolt on and theres enough material on the snout to port it to a 102. Think i paid machine shop lile $80 to port mine.

make sure youbuse short ls3 body injectors. Tall injectors will hit the snout/j tube.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:36 PM
BMF

Yeah, Dayxo 89393.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

Okay so here is where I am at, feel free to set me straight Razor/Atomic....

I need to buy the ATI 10% OD Balancer (8rib)

IW LS truck 8 rib Power steering and 8 rib Alternator pulleys

The Dayco HD Tensioner 89393.

Where do I need to buy the 8 rib (3") Whipple pulley??? and how do I figure out the belt length for the 8 rib setup?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I can't confirm if the dayco tensioner will need any sort of spacer for the pulley to align with anything, but the belt looks smooth whereas you need a ribbed belt if you do the standard routing. The one I used is the maggie one, gates 38518 and used a 3/4" spacer I made.

The IW crank pulley also works fine if you are using their pullies anyway.

They dont make a 3" 8rib whipple pulley in the truck offset. You will have to either change the snout on your blower and use a pulley for a different application that they have an 8rib pulley for, or custom make a pulley (what I did).

Belt length will be about the same.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Yea I see where your saying that the idler on the HD tensioner is smooth and not grooved for 8 rib, so yea that's an issue, I did look up the tensioner you listed and it does have the 8 rib grooved pulley, and all you had to do was make a 3/4" spacer and it all aligned? Can you give me some information on how I can get a custom 8 rib whipple pulley made? I have already ordered the ATI OD balancer but that shouldn't be an issue. What belt are you using with your 8 rib setup? do you have a part number for the gates belt?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you look at Atomic's post above he has some pictures of what the spacers I made look like. I had them cut a bunch I could use as shims to get it right, and it looks like about 3/4" is perfect. Havent thrown the belt a single time since doing that.

I can have a custom pulley made for you. I designed my own with some features like extra thick center flange and extra tall sides to keep the belt on. Havent thrown a belt a single time since doing all of this. Just let me know what diameter you want. I may also have some extra spacers handy.

You will also want a smooth idler pulley from IW for the adjustable idler on the bracket. You can not use 2 x 100mm pullies, they wont fit. You can use one on the side near the alternator, but you will need to clearance the whipple bracket so the pulley clears, and possibly use some washers as spacers to center the belt (see attached pic).

I cant remember exactly what belt was used, but you can always run your 6rib belt at first until you see how much more or less you need then order that size in 8rib.
Attached Thumbnails Whipple build..Pistons,8rib pulleys and 100mm idlers??-20170501_222539.jpg  
Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 PM
BMF

You can buy the 8 rib pulley to fit on that tensioner separately. Bolts right on.

Best that I can recall, No snout modifications are required. None. Zip. Zero nada. I ran a ten (10) rib, not eight, not 6, 10 rib pulley on the snout. Didn't give any Fuchs about the extra two ribs not being used on that pulley. I ran them because I had them from a friends Whipple'd boat. Call Whipple and ask them if they have an eight rib to fit. They do all kinds of stuff that isn't advertised on their outdated Web site.

As stated, you can use IW or ATI for the crank. I chose ATI cause I got a deal on it.

I can't recall what part number I used for the belt but, I used a green belt 8 rib and had zero slip and I was over spinning the blower a little at max engine rpm.

The idlers that I used were also from a whipple boat set up. They are used for direct drive Whipple where the supercharger belt is independent and does not drive any accessories. ...they way it should be IMHO.