FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

whine n' a whistle

Old 06-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Oh so you are not using just vacuum to actuate the bypass valve, but are using your own controller? How does that work if you dont mind me asking? Wouldnt the max potential boost of the blower still be pulley dependent?
Yes to the first part lol. It's a bit complicated, and a bit of a secret
The boost of the blower is pulley dependent, but the total potential boost of the entire system is turbo dependent.

Only thing im skeptical about is the flow of that blower bypass valve....I remember looking on mine on my magnacharger and it wasnt that big, not sure if the rousch one is larger. When you say 9psi at 6k rpm, is that blower rpm or crank rpm, and if crank, what size pulley was used? Just off the top of my head I know the tvs1900 at 15k blower rpm moves right around 1000cfm.
That is crank RPM. What I meant by that is the blower in the stock configuration on my engine is designed to recirculate all boost through the bypass once the throttle is closed. So the air that the blower is moving when my engine is turning 6000 RPMs can all be drawn through the bypass valve. When the turbo spools and puts the blower in bypass, the blower will just recirculate any excess boost because it is trying to even the pressure difference between the top of the rotors and the bottom of the rotors. I am using a single 50mm wastegate and have seen no boost creep at all.

Maybe im still missing something but wouldnt there be flow reversion if thats the case? The pressure after the blower is greater than before so air would go backwards through the bypass valve since the pressure of turbo + blower is more than blower alone... or is the blower not able to flow enough at higher rpm to make positive pressure?
The blower will always try to push more air into the engine than it can handle, hence the boost created under the rotors. Since its always flowing excess air, that excess will always flow through the bypass in the direction that it was intended. Boost from the turbo will never enter the bypass and then enter the engine because the rotors of the supercharger won't allow it.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the tvs is bypassing the boost its making at high rpm wont it by pass the boost the turbo is making too ?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Mod with training wheels

The bypass isn't like a BOV, it just puts the air back into the intake tract.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anasasisxenophontis
I am having an issue with oil coming out the turbo though. Apparently STS kits have a check valve on the oil feed line that I was unaware of and oil is seeping into the turbo when the truck is off. So I need to snag one of those. What's a custom project without a few kinks?
I have one off of my old STS setup if you need it. I need to see/ride in your truck either way though. It's time to meet the other local round these parts.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Mod with training wheels

You have a pm
Old 06-28-2010, 12:02 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. Very Creative and cool!

Low end grunt and turbo mid and top end, best of both worlds.

Plus i love hearing a turbo whistle!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

wow! just WOW!!! that is awesome!!!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

very cool! great work! gotta see some vids on this thing.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

clever setup you got there, i like it. looks like you have it pretty well figured out but i just have one question, would'nt it be better for the bypass to open a little later like around 6-7 turbo psi intstead of 3.5psi? i mean to take full advantage of the blower low end power (which is making around 7psi max correct?) and then have a smoother transition i would think into the turbo top end power? just thought id ask..?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Mod with training wheels

I will get some videos up after I fix whatever is pulling so much timing. The boost is there, but the power isn't. Right now its a dog...the timing dropped all the way to 2° when I got on it a bit. So it's not without issues. That didn't stop it from breaking 'em loose at 30mph when the turbo spooled, though. lol
I might try to get a quick video of the gauges showing how the sequential boost works.

Originally Posted by skolman91
clever setup you got there, i like it. looks like you have it pretty well figured out but i just have one question, would'nt it be better for the bypass to open a little later like around 6-7 turbo psi intstead of 3.5psi? i mean to take full advantage of the blower low end power (which is making around 7psi max correct?) and then have a smoother transition i would think into the turbo top end power? just thought id ask..?
I knew that question would come up It is a good question though. With the way I figured on setting it up, the system does have to compound a little bit. The blower is at full boost until the turbo reaches that preset pressure, at which point the blower bypasses. But the pressure ratio of both combined until the blower goes into bypass works out to about 10.5psi compounded.

Last edited by anasasisxenophontis; 06-28-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whine n' a whistle