FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

whine n' a whistle

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This setup reminds me of certain turbine engines, particularly the P&W PT6. It has two compressors- a centrifugal flow and an axial flow compressor. The centrifugal one makes the pressure at low speed and then the axial one takes over higher up. There is an interstage bleed valve in between to prevent axial compressor stalling.

Your setup is very ingenious (though many have thought about it but never done it) and is likely what we'll see more of in the future.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

This is the boost video I promised. The tune is still pulling a shitload of timing, enough that I can't build more boost or rev up a lot under load. But this is what sequential looks like...

Top gauge is turbo, bottom is supercharger.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by anasasisxenophontis
I knew that question would come up It is a good question though. With the way I figured on setting it up, the system does have to compound a little bit. The blower is at full boost until the turbo reaches that preset pressure, at which point the blower bypasses. But the pressure ratio of both combined until the blower goes into bypass works out to about 10.5psi compounded.
makes sense, i guess it is compound boost some of the time even tho your calling it sequential boost.

video helps, you can see and hear it kick the bypass open. but it brings up another question, isnt the blower boost gauge in the lower manifold under the intercooler? i figured that then it would change to a combined or overall max boost reading once the bypass opened? or are you only making 5psi total right now?

Last edited by skolman91; 06-29-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:19 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Do you have hptuners? If so I could take a look at your tune to see if I can spot why its pulling timing, a log would help too.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Mod with training wheels

Originally Posted by skolman91
makes sense, i guess it is compound boost some of the time even tho your calling it sequential boost.

video helps, you can see and hear it kick the bypass open. but it brings up another question, isnt the blower boost gauge in the lower manifold under the intercooler? i figured that then it would change to a combined or overall max boost reading once the bypass opened? or are you only making 5psi total right now?
The one under the rotors of the supercharger shows what it will peak at before the bypass opens and it goes all turbo. Somewhere between 10-11 psi. But yes, I am only making like 5psi total because my tune is so bad I can't build enough RPMs to spool the turbo more.

Originally Posted by Atomic
Do you have hptuners? If so I could take a look at your tune to see if I can spot why its pulling timing, a log would help too.
Sent you a PM.

Last edited by anasasisxenophontis; 06-29-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Mod with training wheels

Well I certainly learned something today. I guess the orientation of the MAF sensor can affect performance. Not direction of flow, but literally rotation away from where the sensor was at in its stock configuration. It caused the MAF to report more air flow to the engine when there actually wasn't excess flow, so it ran extremely rich. Still more kinks to work out in the tune, but it pulls a hell of a lot harder now.

Kudos go to Justin at Blackbear for that tip.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would ditch the maf...you got wacky air coming into your engine
very cool. good work.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Mod with training wheels

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS
very cool. good work.
I would but gen IV ECMs have to have the MAF, apparently. No option for SD tuning.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS
very cool. good work.
The only way to ditch the MAF with the newer PCM's is to run a custom OS like a 2.5bar setup. Stock, they use a virtual VE (no primary VE table) so diabling the MAF in order to run a SD tune doesn't work well.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting setup. I like it. I got to thinking about the tuning. Unless the transition from blower to turbo boost PSI is consistent, IE no spikes or drops.... it is gonna be a pain to tune IMO in SD.

Quick Reply: whine n' a whistle