FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

where to mount BOV

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 10:45 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to mount BOV

trying to figure out best place to mount my big red race bov i had it mounted right after the head unit before the intercooler but it was loud as hell drove me nuts on the highway on my new setup I've got the BOV mounted on the exit side if the intercooler
Old 05-27-2017, 11:59 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

There are different theories..........

In my opinion, the best place to have it is after the intercooler. The hot side of the intercooler is always gonna show a different pressure than the intake manifold. The vac/boost line to the top of the diaphragm is exposed to the press/vac in the manifold, therefore it is my opinion that the bottom side should be exposed to the same.

For example, if the BOV is mounted before the intercooler

Lets say you have an intercooler that shows a 5 psi drop in pressure. At 10 lbs of boost in the manifold, the top of the BOV will see 10 psi and the piston in the charge pipe will be exposed to 15 psi. What happens????? The BOV is not 100% shut at full boost.

There is a disclaimer that should be stated however. The big red BOV has an adjustment nut/stud on top to deal with this so the issue can be tuned out. Only problem with that though is that pressure drop through the intercooler is probably not linear. Meaning that at 5 psi in the manifold you may only see a 1 psi drop through the cooler. At 15 psi in the manifold you may see a 7-8 psi drop through the cooler.

Hope you're picking up what I'm putting down. Ready to see your **** running again.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally like a BOV mounted as close to the throttle body as possible.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:13 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

The purpose of the BOV is to protect the compressor from surge conditions when you close the throttle, so it should be as close to the compressor as possible for that purpose.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pull a denmah and not use one lol. he just got around to installing one on his Colorado the other day.
The following users liked this post:
milesp07 (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 12:52 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Atomic
The purpose of the BOV is to protect the compressor from surge conditions when you close the throttle, so it should be as close to the compressor as possible for that purpose.
I could see your point, especially in a turbo app where the wheel is well....free wheeling. In a blower situation I don't consider it as much of a big deal, especially in this case where a serpentine drive is used. Any big back pressure on the impeller can be relieved rather easily with some slip on the belt.

Like I said above....many theories........either way has been proven to work.

My opinion, accurate actuation of the BOV.
Your opinion, impeller durability is more important.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Installing the BOV after the intercooler will allow all the pressurized air to go some where besides the throttle body blade and the compressor wheel.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:14 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TrickTurbo
Installing the BOV after the intercooler will allow all the pressurized air to go some where besides the throttle body blade and the compressor wheel.
Not sure I'm understanding what you're getting at there. Isn't that the whole point of a BOV? To let the air out of the system (away from the throttle blade and the impeller?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:18 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
Not sure I'm understanding what you're getting at there. Isn't that the whole point of a BOV? To let the air out of the system (away from the throttle blade and the impeller?
Yes. It does not matter before or after intercooler.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also if you are running an aftermarket MAF make sure its before the MAF. Might be common sense, but i didnt know at first lol, most delete maf anyway, so no worries i suppose.