FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

what times are you running with your turbo setup? (1/8th, 1/4 mile)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Does it feel like it runs better past midnight when its cooler out?
it runs 100x better in cooler weather. After I got done putting the kit on, there were a few days where it was 40-50 degrees outside and it seemed like it was a different truck then

Toomnymods-- thanks for the tip on the A/W intercooler, but I already bought an A/A intercooler
Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
it runs 100x better in cooler weather. After I got done putting the kit on, there were a few days where it was 40-50 degrees outside and it seemed like it was a different truck then
Well there you go. Probably getting a few degrees of timing back from lower IATs. Plumb up that intercooler, get a retune, and don't leave the line off idle and you should be good for low 13s
Old 04-13-2011, 03:53 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Well there you go. Probably getting a few degrees of timing back from lower IATs. Plumb up that intercooler, get a retune, and don't leave the line off idle and you should be good for low 13s

Originally Posted by N20GMC
^^^^^^ Exactly. What convertor is in your truck? If its stock its gonna be lagy and probably doesn't get into boost any in 1st gear.

Where did you come up with this? If anything it's the opposite. A few hard-core turbo nuts who've gone low 11's and high 's swear by stock converters.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spoolin

Where did you come up with this? If anything it's the opposite. A few hard-core turbo nuts who've gone low 11's and high 's swear by stock converters.
All depends on the setup, if the engine is overcammed or over turboe'd the setup will like a looser TC, a properly sized DD setup will enjoy a tighter TC.

peace
Hog
Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Running no intercooler is fine if you live in areas where it never sees 85 plus degree days... And in the winter it will be fine. But in the summer heat it just cant handle the heat at optimal timing. Now if you can tune yourself you can compensate some for the iat tables. But in TX you will ptobably have to run ic for sure
Old 04-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Launching!

I was speaking from experience of the way my truck runs with a 60 turbo on it. Being that his truck has a larger turbo than mine. It would probably benefit alot from have a larger convertor put in it.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 PM
GFYS and STFU

Just saying I've never heard of a stock stall preventing someone from hitting boost in 1st gear. A looser stall would definitely have that effect though.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Just saying I've never heard of a stock stall preventing someone from hitting boost in 1st gear. A looser stall would definitely have that effect though.
The stall speed need to be high enough to get the turbo to light, after that it's good. If you can't light the turbo, it won't make boost well at all foot braking it. My dads 72 Chevy truck is that way with a stock stall/4l60 with a T70 on a stock 5.3 Won't hardly make 1psi standing on the gas and brakes but as soon as I let it go and the RPM comes up a few hundred and it lights almost instantly. But a turbo does need enough rpm/air flow and load to light and become efficient.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:26 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by kbracing96
The stall speed need to be high enough to get the turbo to light, after that it's good. If you can't light the turbo, it won't make boost well at all foot braking it. My dads 72 Chevy truck is that way with a stock stall/4l60 with a T70 on a stock 5.3 Won't hardly make 1psi standing on the gas and brakes but as soon as I let it go and the RPM comes up a few hundred and it lights almost instantly. But a turbo does need enough rpm/air flow and load to light and become efficient.
I know what your saying about trying to light a turbo off when on the foot brake at the stagging lights. But I've never heard of a stock stall being the culprit for preventing a turbo from hitting full boost in 1st gear. Just like your Dad's truck, once he get's going a little then the turbo lights off pretty quickly.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Hey guys, I tried out the syty shuffle, I'm not able to build boost on it, but vacuum does go to zero (tires start to spin no matter how hard I hold the brake). Do I still need to try to get it into boost? or is no vacuum 'ok to work with'

Quick Reply: what times are you running with your turbo setup? (1/8th, 1/4 mile)