FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

what times are you running with your turbo setup? (1/8th, 1/4 mile)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I don't have pre-intercooler performance times for my truck, but it sure made a big improvement. I don't remember if I had a new tune for the intercooler, it's too long ago, but probably. Mine is not a turbo, but in my case adding the intercooler made more power increase than putting the blower on in the first place. Adding the blower to my stock truck made it run nice, adding the cooler made it run mean.
alright, well I'll post up results once I add the intercooler and then results after a re-tune. I'm really looking forward to adding the intercooler now, hopefully it will be an instant change in performance.

thanks for all the help guys! I just really wanted to know that I'm not crazy in thinking I shouldn't be running that slow
Old 04-12-2011, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

Just send your tuner an email and ask him. Your tune is going to be conservative until you give him some data logs. When I get my transmission put in (mid May) I'm going to the dyno to see what the non-intercooled turbo kit will put down. I'm guessing around 380 to the wheels.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:33 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not having an intercooler might be part of the issue but definitely not the whole problem. Nelson will set you right I'm sure though.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The problem is no tuner has done a comprehensive in person tune on a non-intercooled turbo setup so they don't know what to expect for IAT's and what a motor will take and not detonate. The stock IAT table in these trucks is already EXTREMELY conservative. My blower makes a ton of heat even though it's intercooled and my IAT table is pretty much zeroed out cuz of it and it runs just fine like that, 19-21* of timing on 25% mix of E-85 and 91 at 15psi with no knock and 240* peak IAT's.

Your performance issue is two fold, your no boost easy launch killed your 60' (giving up probably .5 to .9 of a sec) and your conservative IAT table killed your top end. You gotta get that turbo spooled up and leave the line with a little boost at least. You can't just launch a turbo from the line from idle or it will suck!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Launching!

^^^^^^ Exactly. What convertor is in your truck? If its stock its gonna be lagy and probably doesn't get into boost any in 1st gear.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Your performance issue is two fold, your no boost easy launch killed your 60' (giving up probably .5 to .9 of a sec) and your conservative IAT table killed your top end.
^ this
Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I know I should launch it more aggressively- but I am using the stock 4L60E w/ stock converter, which from hearing all the horror stories on how weak they are, I'm not sure as to what I can get away with. What RPM do you guys think I can get away with while holding the brake and giving it the gas? I do plan on upgrading the 4L80E, but not any time soon.. I saw this video in my head every time I was at the tree lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AD5L...eature=related

I decided that after this semester is over (May), I'll head back home- put the intercooler on and then take it to Nelson (2hr drive from my headquarters in Houston) and get him to personally tune it

it gets into boost in first gear, I'm thinking it is around 3,500rpm when it reaches the full 7psi. I can get you guys a video of the boost gauge/rpm gauge during a run if ya'll want
Old 04-12-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a shift kit? I've made probably over 30-40 passes on my stock trans with a shift kit and it was just fine. Try doing the syty shuffle and see how much boost you can build off the line. I am not sure how much the stock converter will let you make but it should help. Mine launched with about 7-8psi but i have 4wd. With 2wd i could see traction being an issue.

If i launch without boost i lose almost a full second in the 1/4 mile.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:41 PM
12 Second Truck Club

mine runs pretty good considering no one makes a turbo kit for the titan.. Mine runs a 7.8@85mph in the 1/8th with a 1.76 60' and a 12.3@109mph in the 1/4
i also couldnt build boost off the line, damn brakes wont hold the truck for **** once it hits any amount of boost, caused me to redlight 2-3 times. i'm sure i could get into the 11's if i could leave the line with any boost

get the a/w intercooler, it is definatly better than the standard a/ir to air i/c and my iat temps never go above 125f even in 100f weather under WOT
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

My thoughts...Nelson probably left the IAT spark table stock (aggressive) to prevent detonation and set your main spark tables low once you're in boost. So that'll cut some power. Not to mention the basic reason for running an intercooler, cool air is dense air, and you're losing density once the intake charge heats up. My guess is its pulling like 10° of timing...won't know til you log it, though. Does it feel like it runs better past midnight when its cooler out?

Quick Reply: what times are you running with your turbo setup? (1/8th, 1/4 mile)