FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

What the hell is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default What the hell is this?

I pulled my air cleaner off to install a coolant expansion tank and this is what I found. Don't think its oil but maybe. Smells like JB weld and the consistency of snot. Also looks like there are marks like the turbine (if that's what you call it)is hitting the housing. The turbine has a good amount of play in it. side to side up and down. Not in and out. Guessing this is not good. Let me know what you think.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

looks like chinese turbo probs. Get that thing replaced before the engine ingests metal. Sometimes you can use a genuine rebuild kit if your turbo is a close enough knock off.

The oil is just blowby making its way to the intake. At least, looks like it to me. Turbine is clean tho.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

I will contact trick performance hopefully it's under warranty. Dont think its been a year yet. Only run 7 psi. Have a hard believing its bad. Low miles and just a daily driver can count on 2 hands how many times I've gone WOT. Just my luck put an order in with stock48 for cam,custom pistons, rings, and springs. Spent all my money!

If I stay out of boost what are the odds of this thing putting metal into my intake. Its winter and bad weather cant go without my truck. Thanks for helping.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Up, down, side to side- movement is normal on all j/b turbos that are just sitting there (no oil psi). The oil psi takes up the clearance inside the bushing.
In and out should have very little movement.
The slight impeller hit from what I can see in the pic I wouldn't worry about. Looks to very little.
Oil inside the rubber boot going to the compressor looks to be from oil filter.
Not the turbo, Probably why it smells different. Unless you have an engine vent running pre turbo?
Check your compressor discharge side pre Intercooler.

Last edited by TrickTurbo; 02-01-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

At one point i had a line hooked up behind the filter for a catch can but not for long before i went no pcv. I have never oiled the filter think i asked you about it once and said not to. Glad there is nothing to worry about with the turbo!!! Can oil even become a honey like substance?
I will clean it up for now and check it every couple days and see if it comes back. Got all worried for nothing probably. Thanks
Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

I pulled the pipe going to into the intercooler and you can see the brown line in the picture is oil. What do you think the problem is? Thanks.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

also if my truck has been ingesting oil could this be the cause of my check engine light being on since the installation? I've always had bank one or two lean code just curious.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Oil burning, if it is burning, is not likely the cause of a check engine light. For lean codes, I would be testing injectors, checking the o2 sensor or preventively replacing it, and look for exhaust leaks.

As as for the turbo comment: not going to start an argument but I disagree. I have ajournal bearing Garrett sitting here waiting waiting for a 4cyl build. Over 100k on it in the oem application and it's got .005" of movement, max.

When end you say your turbo has play, it's subjective. But I don't have a lot of confidence in those Chinese turbos, regardless of who is supplying them. Keep an eye on it, for your trucks sake
Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Oil burning, if it is burning, is not likely the cause of a check engine light. For lean codes, I would be testing injectors, checking the o2 sensor or preventively replacing it, and look for exhaust leaks.

As as for the turbo comment: not going to start an argument but I disagree. I have ajournal bearing Garrett sitting here waiting waiting for a 4cyl build. Over 100k on it in the oem application and it's got .005" of movement, max.

When end you say your turbo has play, it's subjective. But I don't have a lot of confidence in those Chinese turbos, regardless of who is supplying them. Keep an eye on it, for your trucks sake
Do you know what else might cause oil to get into the intercooler piping? I cant realy think of any other way. Maybe ill try and make a video of its shaft play and post it.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

The only way I know of, and the only way that makes sense to me is blow by, but only if you have a breather line hooked up to the intake. Turbine is clean AF tho, so the oil is getting into the intake after the turbo.

I doubt the oil is from the seals in the turbo, but we can't rule it out yet based on my opinion. Does the truck smoke at, whatsoever? When turbo seals start leaking, they REALLY start leaking and leave a smoke screen behind the vehicle. I haven't seen one yet just make small dribbles, leave the turbine clean as ****, but residue in the plumbing.

1st time for everything I guess. If it's blow by, it's a minimal amount. I wouldn't concern myself with that. Catch can it and move on with a sweet truck!