FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

What does a turbo build really cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does a turbo build really cost?

I figure a lot of people out there that read on the forums come to find that a lot more than what actually comes with the kit is needed to get your truck running. So, I want you ask you turbo guys out there that have gone through all the b.s. what else "needs" to be purchased other than the kit itself? Other than the tune, fuel pump, injectors kind of stuff. Is there anything that is commonly left out when people ask this question?

I understand the answer can vary depending on what kit is purchased so because I'm asking the question for myself as well I'd like use the Livernois kit as an example. (it comes with intercooler and injectors)

Recently my dad procharged his vette and he went with a bigger radiator. Is the stock Silverado radiator large enough for a turbo application or is something bigger needed?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Stock cooling system is plenty..

Let's just put it this way, when I first turbo'd my stock 5.3 with a KBRacing front mount kit, the kit was 4200... By the time it went in the truck I was about 5700 into it. I put all the good stuff in as far as accessories and guages. This was a base MP T70 intercooled kit. I had to add fuel system (injectors and pump) and all the instrumentation, I already owned tuning software.

And now I've bought another forged motor, much bigger turbo, swapping in a 4L80E, rebuilding suspension, and rebuilding some of my cold side piping to go with the bigger turbo....

Bottom line, if you are on a "budget" I wouldn't recommend this route. It gets expensive quickly. But that being said.... Its so damn fun
Old 05-02-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

iv just got done......will kinda, but with the trick hot parts and new 76mm turbo and FMIc iv got around 6gs in it....and 4 more in the new 408!!!!! you have to add about 1500 to the list for Bullshit here and there...
Old 05-02-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

way to much
Old 05-02-2009, 04:08 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends if you can stay sane.

$1500-$2000 over the price of the kit if you are totally stock, plus doing a lot of work yourself.

If you can then leave it alone, all will be well, but you don't see many turbo guys who are able to resist the lure of the little boost controller...

First you need heads, cam springs, etc. Then you need a new tranny. Then, you need a new rear end. Then you need bigger tires. Then you need a new motor. Then you need a bigger turbo (or another one). Then you need more meth and a bigger intercooler. Then you need a new TB and a new manifold. Then, heads and cam again if you didn't go big enough before the turbo Then you need a better suspension so can hook. Then you need a 4L80E. Then you need a 14 bolt. Then you need a cage to run at the track. Then you need a fire suit. Then you need an understanding wife.

Did I leave anything out 8altng?

Oh, yeah... the money!!
Old 05-02-2009, 05:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I would say about 6-10 k when its all said and done. then double it for the money you need to spend on the wife so she lets you spend the 1st 6-10k in the 1st place, LOL.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

put together the best estimate you can. Include everything you can think of. Then add 2K dollars and consider it accurate lol..
Old 05-02-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

What did you guys add to the "Kit" to go over budget?

I am no stranger to over budget, and I will continue to go there. But these kits seem really complete to me and someday hopefully sooner then later I will get one. Or were you guys upping the whole kit with accesories or were these needed items for a stock motor pushing 450ish horse. I would love a few extra ponies in my truck, but the way I drive I rather do turbo or nothing becouse I need the mpg's.

I have my camaro project on the way for all my HP fantasys as I don't care about the mpg's, but I need something that is capable of getting low 20's for me to be practical.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by excesss
I figure a lot of people out there that read on the forums come to find that a lot more than what actually comes with the kit is needed to get your truck running. So, I want you ask you turbo guys out there that have gone through all the b.s. what else "needs" to be purchased other than the kit itself? Other than the tune, fuel pump, injectors kind of stuff. Is there anything that is commonly left out when people ask this question?

I understand the answer can vary depending on what kit is purchased so because I'm asking the question for myself as well I'd like use the Livernois kit as an example. (it comes with intercooler and injectors)

Recently my dad procharged his vette and he went with a bigger radiator. Is the stock Silverado radiator large enough for a turbo application or is something bigger needed?
Your stock radiator is fine for the turbo build.
Build expense is really up to the parts list you are trying to do. After the kit is purchased. YOu will need exhaust work as well. The est. you have been given are really good base lines.
Lets say you have nothing, and want JUST a turbo kit and its accessories no meth.
You will be spending around 6500-7000. For all the little parts, tuning etc.
The great thing is you can always make more power with a simple boost controller. But then you get into trannys etc.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have around $8500.00 in mine and it never seems to stop climbing.

Quick Reply: What does a turbo build really cost?