FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

water to air intercooler on whipple...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water to air intercooler on whipple...

im looking into intercooling my whipple. i want to up the boost at the same time but due to boost drop with front mounts i would have to go pretty small on the pulley and im afraid of belt slipping. iv been looking into water to air intercoolers. i just wanted to see how many people are running this type of setup and how well they work. truck spec on bottom.

here is the kit i was looking at Water to Air Intercooler

i want to put the intercooler in my battery tray location and put my battery in my old air box location. what do you guys think ab this setup ?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:13 PM

friend of mine has the same setup pretty much, works fine.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

nothing...? really ? iv used the search and only found like 1 person with something like this... i know im not the first but would like to see what other people have done.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im running a W2A setup and love it, also selling my current core assy if your interested, its a direct bolt in for the right front corner of our truck. I've ran it with a blower and a turbo setup, keeps intake temps real low at the track if iced down!

Name:  newengine-1.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  44.2 KB
Name:  Picture1041.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  131.8 KB
Name:  _DSC0006.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  105.1 KB
Old 11-11-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Traditional mounted whipple, it wont have much use as it'd be two ATW heat exchanger systems working together

Side mount whipple, you'll see a huge benefit for track use where you can take advantage of icewater. Street use Id stick to a standard ATA FMIC
Old 11-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

its a 2.3l (what i would call side mount) and i really dont want to run a A2A. i think the W2A with ice box would be the best all around for what i want. its my DD and some track time on weekends. my list of stuff when i get my taxes back is growing every day. headers, W2A, 3.5/8 pulley, custom cam and a walbro 255.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

#search
Old 11-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
i did SEARCH, many times. and iv already seen this thread. what part of im NOT going front mount or A2A is hard for you to understand...

people are trying to sell me on a front mount intercooler. truth of the matter is that between the # loss of a A2A vs W2A the time and trouble of mounting. its just not worth my time and effort.

ill do a DIY on the install when i get my kit and everything needed. wont be for a couple of months but ill update as it goes.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 4.8whipple
i did SEARCH, many times. and iv already seen this thread. what part of im NOT going front mount or A2A is hard for you to understand...

people are trying to sell me on a front mount intercooler. truth of the matter is that between the # loss of a A2A vs W2A the time and trouble of mounting. its just not worth my time and effort.

ill do a DIY on the install when i get my kit and everything needed. wont be for a couple of months but ill update as it goes.
Sounds like you've got it all figured out
Old 11-14-2011, 03:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4.8whipple
its a 2.3l (what i would call side mount) and i really dont want to run a A2A. i think the W2A with ice box would be the best all around for what i want. its my DD and some track time on weekends. my list of stuff when i get my taxes back is growing every day. headers, W2A, 3.5/8 pulley, custom cam and a walbro 255.
Where do you plan on buying the smaller pulleys for the side mount? Whipple no longer sells them. I am also on the hunt. It seems like I have to resort to a 10% OD crank pulley to squeeze some more boost. It'll also help with belt slippage

Quick Reply: water to air intercooler on whipple...