FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Twins and not what u'r thinking. hint TVS 3800.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahha ill take two trick....that might feed that 408...LOL
Old 04-13-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

What kind of number are we expecting? Def a nice setup!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

FFS.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:02 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silveradol33
What kind of number are we expecting? Def a nice setup!
I'll settle for a relaxed 1000/1000 to the wheels.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish i was as relaxed as you are! It should be relatively easy. Nice build!!
Old 04-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Originally Posted by zippy
I would like to see a TVS1900 or MP112/MP122 bolted to an L35 V6. There is a big market in the S10 world, but no good choices for superchargers. I was really hoping that with the front inlet/front drive Magnacharger would build a setup using parts that they already have produced for the L31/L30 V8's. There are lots of those engines out there. I agree with the 8.1L and a TVS2300. That would be sweet.
an 8.1 with a TVS2300 would be a stump puller
Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, with a bunch of us jumping on the 408 bandwagon and there not being a blower big enough to support it, this ought to get the job done.

DrX=Dentist?

so it's not just Pharmacists(me) who spend insane amounts of money on their trucks, lol
Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful craftsmanship, I'm a fan of shiny stuff as much as the next guy.
I have to tell you though, it's going to throw the blower belt the first time you blip the throttle. The belt tensioner cannot be located before a high-load accessory. You'll get by with the water pump okay, but definitely not the passenger-side blower. When the engine spins up and the blowers are loaded, the force on the belt will bottom out the tensioner and the belt will go slack after the second supercharger. There is a real risk of the tensioner breaking completely off - they are not designed to hold that much force.
I think it will be easy to fix - use the tensioner in its present location, but wrap the belt around it after the second supercharger, and then the water pump. The two superchargers will need some high-mounted idler pulleys to maintain a good wrap ratio around the blower pulleys.
Sorry, I don't mean to naysay, you would have found this out eventually anyway. Hopefully with this information you can fix it before breaking stuff and messing up polished stuff in the engine bay.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:58 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good input. Pulleys/tensioner still need to be worked out. Tensioner can go anywhere that it won't interfere with anything else.

The big water pump pulley is a free-wheeling idler.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In this first diagram the tensioner stays in the original location, but clocked a bit counterclockwise from where it sits now. This is one possible solution for routing the belt that would put it after the two superchargers. The green circle is a smooth-groove idler pulley and the blue with the dotted line is the belt tensioner, applying tension counter clockwise. It's difficult to tell from the photo perspective, but I think the belt would clear the throttle body this way. This arrangement has slightly better wrap on the pulleys than the current configuration.

This second diagram is more optimal for a few reasons, in my opinion:
1 - The distance between the crank pulley and driver-side supercharger is stabilized by an idler pulley. Superchargers pulse in their rotation and the idler pulley will stabilize harmonic vibration in the long belt path.
2 - The two upper smooth-faced idler pulleys provide better wrap around the superchargers while still providing the throttle body clearance from the belt.
3 - The tensioner is after the two high-load driven devices. (note it applies tension clockwise, opposite from the current tensioner, and is a grooved pulley instead of smooth)
4 - The tensioner cannot be overextended by reverse-torque on the belt. During rapid deceleration, such as following a shift, the inertial energy of the large rotating masses in the superchargers will actually overspin the crank and belt tension will be in the opposite direction from normal. This tends to bottom out the tensioner, hyper-compressing it. Since tensioners are not designed to hold up against this much load, they generally break off or the travel-stop ear busts off the tensioner housing. I've also seen the locating pin be sheared off the housing. In either case - damage. By locating the belt tensioner in a path were a fully-tensioned belt cannot over-compress the tensioner, damage to it is prevented and the torque needed to slow down the driven accessories is transferred - the belt is less likely to be thrown off in the process. In the diagram below, the dotted line shows where the belt would be fully taught, the black line is an approximation of the normal path taken with tensioner pressure on it. For best results, the smallest belt that can be put on will be best here, so the tensioner travel is minimized providing more travel to take up the slack caused by belt stretch under high load or rapid acceleration. Also worth mentioning, the less "wrap" on the tensioner pulley, the more leverage force the spring can exert on the belt to keep it tight. More wrap provides greater slack take-up ability, but less tension. With the superchargers you need a balance that favors high belt tension and enough travel to take up the huge amount of slack created by belt stretch under load.
5 - This layout is more symetrical than the first graphic. The design for the belt path you guys came up with is visually stunning - great symmetry and the two pulleys have nearly the same amount of belt wrap on them, I think keeping the tensioner in your location would detract from the theme of symmetry you have right now. In my opinion, it would be worth your trouble to revise the 8-rib belt path to something incorporating these considerations.

That manifold and induction really is a work of art. I wish I had the means to fabricate like that...

Quick Reply: Twins and not what u'r thinking. hint TVS 3800.