FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

TVS19000 on 5.3 - what else to go w/it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
For what it's worth, I have the big body 22" magnaflow on my catless LT's and with muffler alone, it was way too loud. Threw a 4"x14" magnaflow bullet in front, quieter, but still too loud. On the highway, it's fine, but around town, it draws attention. I bought a 7"x14" magnaflow muffler to replace the 4" with, but have yet to put it on. Hopefully that will take care of it.
That 22" muffler was probably the quietest one they are selling. I was considering doing exactly what you did and what someone else has recommended in 'exhaust' group but now I'm having second thoughts. In this situation would it be worth is to go w/ Corsa?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:36 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on getting your setup running!!!

Now enjoy that off idle power you were missing!!!

Pics DEFINITLEY!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sotorin
That 22" muffler was probably the quietest one they are selling. I was considering doing exactly what you did and what someone else has recommended in 'exhaust' group but now I'm having second thoughts. In this situation would it be worth is to go w/ Corsa?
I have never had a corsa, but from reading on here, it seems that Corsa's sound great w/o LT's, but really loud with LT's. Do a search for Corsa on here and there might be some sound clips or more info.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

I have never had a corsa, but from reading on here, it seems that Corsa's sound great w/o LT's, but really loud with LT's. Do a search for Corsa on here and there might be some sound clips or more info.
I've been back and forth thru the forums looking for info about mufflers. There are some good posts in 'exhausts' group. However, what some consider great/good/acceptable others think is a disaster and waste of money. I could probably deal with M'flow mufflers if they turn out to be loud but Corsa would be very expensive mistake. After all I would be very, very surprised if new M'flow mufflers would be louder than what I have now. My truck was loud and droned before cam and LTs installation. Now it's just accentuated because with TC installed I get into a drone spot almost immediately, stay there and it's wearing me out.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Congrats on getting your setup running!!!

Now enjoy that off idle power you were missing!!!

Pics DEFINITLEY!!!!!!
Thank you very much for comments and your help. I do enjoy driving the car now but it does take more gas as I frivolously step on it every time I see an opportunity. I always considered DOD feature somewhat of a myth and never saw any real benefit but now that is removed I can tell the difference. Probably this is combination of things thou. "Don't play if you can't pay' - that's damn right

I'll take some pics once weather eases up, it's been really f&*% cold recently.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

When you have a muffler installed, have them put it as far back as you can, which should reduce drone. My understanding of drone is that it is the tailpipe after the muffler vibrating at its natural frequency, the shorter the tailpipe, the higher the natural frequency (RPM's).
Old 02-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

When you have a muffler installed, have them put it as far back as you can, which should reduce drone. My understanding of drone is that it is the tailpipe after the muffler vibrating at its natural frequency, the shorter the tailpipe, the higher the natural frequency (RPM's).
I always thought this was shitty muffler that caused the drone - live and learn I guess. They might be able to move it back but probably an inch or two at most as it is pretty close to the rear axle anyway. Pipe comes out of it, lobes over the axle and exits to the passenger's side.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two Corsa touring mufflers (bought in the used parts section of this board) that I was going to add to my rig. Fly in that ointment is that those suckers are BIG....and heavy. Not sure I have enough room (reg cab stepside). Now, I'm thinking dual 3" in/out stock type mufflers with cutouts. I haven't been able to find anything that's a true 3" stock type muffler that is 3" all the way through. The only ones I've found are 3" in/out, but neck down to 2.5" in the muffler body. I may have a couple of touring Corsas for sale as soon as I decide which way to go.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I may have a couple of touring Corsas for sale as soon as I decide which way to go.
I'd be very interested in one of them if you can make a decision w/in reasonable amount of time I'm looking to replace my exhausts very soon. Kit I got 2 years ago already rusted thru and my guy was kind enough to weld up the holes. Are these mufflers stainless steel?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sotorin
I'd be very interested in one of them if you can make a decision w/in reasonable amount of time I'm looking to replace my exhausts very soon. Kit I got 2 years ago already rusted thru and my guy was kind enough to weld up the holes. Are these mufflers stainless steel?
Pretty sure they're stainless....might be gold when you consider what they charge for them

Quick Reply: TVS19000 on 5.3 - what else to go w/it?