FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo tuning recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmTruc
lmao, yes he has, I tuned it and as far as I was told it's right on, his maf was the issue all along, he replaced it and now the a/f ratio is at 11.5 at wot and under boost, decent timing, no knock, this was with the same pcm/tune that was supposedly the culprit of all his tuning issues in the past.
he then had it retuned again by a local tuner, but had all kinds of codes.
i don't understand why he wants more power out of the truck, but is concerned it's a ticking time bomb.
the next tuner is just going to increase timing and and make it more aggressive, which just brings it closer to being on the edge.

to be honest, i have no idea why he wants to spend more money on tuning!

ryan, this is not a bashing reply, I just honestly don't understand what you're asking.
If the truck is running fine, which is the last report I was given, leave it alone and enjoy the extra power. The more you turn it up the more complicated things become.

good luck on your tuning decision and if you need a retune you know what to do.

allen
Allen man you have got to stop getting so offended about stuff I was simply asking about this company becuase I was still having a few issues with my truck that I told you about 3 weeks ago on a message and I have tried calling you I am just tired of playing the mail game, what sucks about all this is I really like my truck I really like the way it used to run before I modified it and now it feels like a piece of crap I would give anything if I would of bought the TVS instead I wouldn't of had to worry about all this tuning and I did not gain any gas mileage with the turbo it used to get about 23 on the highway now it gets about 12 thank god I bought something cheaper to drive, this was simply supposed to be my sport truck and I went into the hospital becuase I was worrying so much about everything they thought I had a brain aneurysm yeah remember the head aches I was having so thanks for the support guys!

Last edited by ryan_prettyman; 01-07-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1989k1500
This guy is in Georgia. Kind of a far drive for a tune. lol
No it is right on the other side of Atalanta and I am about 200 miles from Atlanta the price isn't right though I am pretty sure my wife would choke me!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Since you won't answer my PM's, is it possible that the catalytic convertor you have installed could have melted?

From install pics, looks like ceramic:
Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok Ryan ill give ya a run down about this turbo deal,
Allen is good at what he does along with many others. If he has your truck tuned and the afr is right on and it has good timming then leave it alone. My problem started when i put on the turbo, Nonnie had a base tune and it would idle and run but i was on 3lbs of boost to make sure that i wouldn't tear anything up. It wasn't enough for me so i put in my injectors and fuel pump and had to retune. It ran good but still wanted more, so i upped the wg spring to a 7lb spring had to retune about 4 times to get this right with Justin sending me tunes and me sending him logs of my runs. He got it running good on 7lbs and i was happy.....well not enough, the 60 blew up so i went to 4l80 and had to completly redo the tune, Justin came through again. Well driveability was not very good with the maf and closed loop so we tried somthing new. I went and got a tac module and pedal out of a 2003 truck and went to a cos3 and we had to redo the tune yet again. I am now driving the truck and loving it! Maybe you should do something like that if you are unhappy with using the maf. I was blowing through the maf and maxing it out so i had to go 2bar map and a cos3 to handle what my truck was doing.

Anyway good luck, I know how you feel and its a tuners nightmare to have to tune a truck that he can't be in!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by Coban
Since you won't answer my PM's, is it possible that the catalytic convertor you have installed could have melted?

I would definitely remove that cat, if it's not bad yet, it will be.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryan_prettyman
Allen man you have got to stop getting so offended about stuff I was simply asking about this company becuase I was still having a few issues with my truck that I told you about 3 weeks ago on a message and I have tried calling you I am just tired of playing the mail game, what sucks about all this is I really like my truck I really like the way it used to run before I modified it and now it feels like a piece of crap I would give anything if I would of bought the TVS instead I wouldn't of had to worry about all this tuning and I did not gain any gas mileage with the turbo it used to get about 23 on the highway now it gets about 12 thank god I bought something cheaper to drive, this was simply supposed to be my sport truck and I went into the hospital becuase I was worrying so much about everything they thought I had a brain aneurysm yeah remember the head aches I was having so thanks for the support guys!
you still would have needed a tune even with a tvs unit lol,i dont think your problem is tune related man,if you dont like ur setup then sell it and put it back to stock
Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Coban

NO the Cat is still good I just got it a couple of months ago it is a magnaflow it supposed to be a highflow unit!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

still double check the cat, with just having it tuned if it was running rich it could have burned the cat but still look good! A cat can go bad in a month depending on what the engine is doing.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lownslo06
ok Ryan ill give ya a run down about this turbo deal,
Allen is good at what he does along with many others. If he has your truck tuned and the afr is right on and it has good timming then leave it alone. My problem started when i put on the turbo, Nonnie had a base tune and it would idle and run but i was on 3lbs of boost to make sure that i wouldn't tear anything up. It wasn't enough for me so i put in my injectors and fuel pump and had to retune. It ran good but still wanted more, so i upped the wg spring to a 7lb spring had to retune about 4 times to get this right with Justin sending me tunes and me sending him logs of my runs. He got it running good on 7lbs and i was happy.....well not enough, the 60 blew up so i went to 4l80 and had to completly redo the tune, Justin came through again. Well driveability was not very good with the maf and closed loop so we tried somthing new. I went and got a tac module and pedal out of a 2003 truck and went to a cos3 and we had to redo the tune yet again. I am now driving the truck and loving it! Maybe you should do something like that if you are unhappy with using the maf. I was blowing through the maf and maxing it out so i had to go 2bar map and a cos3 to handle what my truck was doing.

Anyway good luck, I know how you feel and its a tuners nightmare to have to tune a truck that he can't be in!
You know what is funny is I was actually trying to duplicate your set up because the truck is bad *** I love gm trucks I have had them all my life and they run fine until you start messing with them and then you start having problems I was just trying to build something that is well rounded but the turbo kit is pissing me off between MPG exhaust leaks and then engine does not run smooth after I installed it, it honestly fells like a piece of crap and I live out in BFE where there are no tuners I cannot believe something like this is stressing me out like this I am seriously not happy with it, with that being said I will probably sell the kit and start over form scratch I appreciate you guys help so I guess my reenlistment bonus went down the drain!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

thats funny. My mpg increased by like 4-5 mpg when I put my kit on it. That was on a street tune

Quick Reply: Turbo tuning recommendations!