FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Turbo smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo smoke

I have started having a small problem with some blue smoke! Its oil smoke.

Yesterday i asked several people for their opinion and netted the same results. I was told to restrict the oil feed with a small nitrous jet. After the truck has been running for a little while and gets warm, if i come to a stoplight and sit for more than just a few minutes it will puff some smoke out of the tail pipe, not just a small puff but enough to choke out the guy in the car beside me. If i give it gas and rev up the rpm's the smoke stops, usually will not do it again at that light, but might or might not do it at the next light. Not only is it annoying but i hate to have the truck smoking. The turbo is a master power 70 mm and i am hoping its the seals in the turbo. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

I have not experienced it yet, though I do have a nitrous jet to help restrict the flo some. Go ahead and try it and see if it fixes the issue.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Check the drain tube, pull it off and clean it out.

I've never had to restrict the feed line, however I do use -3 line and a minimum 1/2 drain line, however a 3/8" line will work just fine as well.

If it's the turbo, call us, I have T76's in stock.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, money is tight at the moment so i am trying to figure out my best option, the drain is not cloged, i just pulled it and had it cut down shorter, thinking that maybe it was the cause of it not draining properly, i have a -10 drain and a -4 feed. I would love to step up to a larger turbo but my 7psi is working so well with my set up right now i hate to change it! Allen send me a price on your turbo and let me toss it around!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd put a restrictor in... I had to with that same turbo. I may have a .065 restrictor laying around somewhere. I know people have used nitrous jets for a long time but, if the flare isnt the same it will leak. If its doing it all the time I'd say the turbo seals are leaking from over-pressure.

I got mine from somewhere online for about $10 + ship I believe. I'm having a similar issue in boost, but its fuel LOL... this thing chugs like a cummins sometimes
Old 11-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

That -4 should be ok as well, especially since it was working for some time now.
I wouldn't start changing the feed or drain, since it's already proven and WAS working.

I'm sure it's not this, but do you have the engine vented properly? That issues would have poked its head on your first wot pass, just making sure.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea all seems vented well, I have had the truck running in boost for about 4 months now and this smoke started about 3-4 weeks ago, i didn't change anything before or after it started smoking. Also i bought the turbo from silver mod o and he was running a restrictor. I guess ill pull the dp and check the play in the shaft so see if it might be seals?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

you can just pull the filter off the front, the shaft runs all the way through
Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i did that but not any noticeable oil on the front impeller. So i figured it was comming out of the back if its the seals leaking right? Its got some play but im unsure how to measure the play on the shaft?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

it'll have some play in it brand new... if it feels "excessive" it probably is. Thats a whole different issue in itself. I'd be willing to bet a seal is leaking. I'd pull it and have it looked at, just to be on the safe side. If its the exhaust side leaking, you wont see oil on the compressor wheel.

Quick Reply: Turbo smoke